Shortening

Timenspace

Guru
Local time
2:57 PM
[Mod.edit: this and following few posts moved to start new topic (MG)]

I really like Carla's biscuits and I think it was 8 Tbsp butter with 2 Tbsp shortening. Just in case, you do know it's solid shortening like Crisco, which I don't know if you guys have or not. You can also use lard, which is what my grandmother used. She made the best biscuits ever, but none of her daughters or us granddaughters could ever get them like hers. Course she made them every day of her life, sometimes twice a day, once she started cooking as she was the daughter of a farmer and married a farmer.
I checked the one shop, shortenings come in 60% and 70% fat ...should I take the 70 one for the biscuits?

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the one shop, shortenings come in 60% and 70% fat ...should I take the 70 one for the biscuits?

Here's the nutritional information on Crisco. All-Vegetable Shortening

In case the link isn't available to you.

Ingredients
Soybean Oil, Fully Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Palm Oil, Mono And Diglycerides, TBHQ And Citric Acid (Antioxidants).
Product Information
0g Trans Fat Per Serving*
50% Less Saturated Fat than Butter*Crisco Shortening: 3.5g saturated fat per tablespoon. Butter: 7g saturated fat per tablespoon. Crisco Shortening contains 12g total fat per serving (1 Tbsp).
Excellent source of ALA Omega-3 fatty acid*Contains 710mg of ALA per serving, which is 44% of the 1.6g Daily Value for ALA.
*See Nutrition Information for Fat and Saturated Fat Content.
Gluten Free
Kosher Pareve

Here's the nutritional information on Crisco. All-Vegetable Shortening

In case the link isn't available to you.

Ingredients
Soybean Oil, Fully Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Palm Oil, Mono And Diglycerides, TBHQ And Citric Acid (Antioxidants).
Product Information
0g Trans Fat Per Serving*
50% Less Saturated Fat than Butter*Crisco Shortening: 3.5g saturated fat per tablespoon. Butter: 7g saturated fat per tablespoon. Crisco Shortening contains 12g total fat per serving (1 Tbsp).
Excellent source of ALA Omega-3 fatty acid*Contains 710mg of ALA per serving, which is 44% of the 1.6g Daily Value for ALA.
*See Nutrition Information for Fat and Saturated Fat Content.
Gluten Free
Kosher Pareve

In the UK Trex shortening (which I use), is 100% fat. Not sure I understand the question from Timenspace about 60% or 70%. What else would be in it besides fat? Water?

In the UK Trex shortening (which I use), is 100% fat. Not sure I understand the question from Timenspace about 60% or 70%. What else would be in it besides fat? Water?
We did go to a shop this evening after all,Igor and me, got vacuum cleaners on clearance price, AND I photographed 3 shortenings.
Yes, you are right it is water...

I doublechecked the translation of "shortening", I might have to look for "biljna mast" or "biljna mrs" instead of "margarin".

I wonder if I could use coconut oil, cold? I love it and it is just pure fat...

I looked up margarin. It is a water-oil emulsion by definition.

I have screenshoted more info, but my daughter is using my laptop now to study for her biology exam, so I will probably translate it and type tomorrow...🙂

Yes, margarine is NOT the same thing as solid shortening. It is all fat, as is lard.
Thank you! One more new thing learned! Will look for the vegetable fat option (biljna mast)... I have never bought it or used it before, but it exists...

There are two local baked goods that I got reminded of:
Čvarkuša, biscuit-similar made with lard (I believe) and pressed fried pig skin (čvarci... there is the raw descriptive translation🙈😁)
and Salenjaci: pastry filled with plum jam, using lard. Their name actually uses 'sal' as in 'salo' the qoloquial for the underskin fat...

Both are very very very tasty!

Will gladly find a recipe, translate and post!

The screenshoted info I mentioned is now irrelevant, so I will focus on the two yummy baked goods. I never made them at home though, so the recipes have been chosen just based on intuition.

Pogačice s čvarcima - Čvarkuše - Domaćica
(grammatically it should be sA čvarcima, but I will not mess up with that now:laugh:

Čvarkuše
Claims to be an old recipe.

Čvarci the name-giving meaty ingredient is pressed fried and dried pork belly fat: Recept: Čvarci

[Mod.Edit - here is the link to the recipe thread: Recipe - Croatian pastries using pork fat]

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use lard instead of shortening, and I've been seeing news stories with researchers suggesting that lard is no less healthy than shortening. Neither one is healthy, but it seems they may be equally unhealthy.

CD

You can use lard instead of shortening, and I've been seeing news stories with researchers suggesting that lard is no less healthy than shortening. Neither one is healthy, but it seems they may be equally unhealthy.

CD
That was a very nice and funny way to put it. 🙂👍 Thank you. I think I will want to try both. Need a lot of new baking experiments and experience.

Back
Top Bottom