Should mushrooms ever be washed?

...we could have a CookingBites civil war regarding whether mushrooms should be washed or not. :whistling:
Once I'm Universal Overlord Of All In Existence I shall pass three decrees immediately:

1. No more wearing long-sleeved shirts/sweaters/jumpers with short pants - make up your mind!

2. People over 50 need to stop talking about their sex lives. I get it, people over 50 have sex, but no one wants to hear about it (and I'm over 50)!

3. All mushrooms shall be washed!

*That ain't happening any time soon, so don't take my decrees any more seriously than they're being offered. :)

Just a bit of mushroom lore - much of the commercial mushroom production in the US is in southeastern Pennsylvania.
Having driven through the area multiple times, I can say that nothing smells quite as bad to me as a commercial mushroom growing facility - and I've been sprayed by a skunk.

The only thing worse smelling than a commercial mushroom barn is a commercial chicken barn. :thumbsdown:

CD

The only thing worse smelling than a commercial mushroom barn is a commercial chicken barn. :thumbsdown:

CD
To me, they're similar odors, but the mushrooms were just that much worse.
That's been, let's see...1996 when I last drove through there and I can still conjure the smell in my mind.

They absorb a very, very, very, very minimal amount of water if you are just washing them quickly under running water. It's been proven by weighing the mushrooms before and after, using a scale that measures to 2 decimal points as it's such a minimal amount. Now, if you soak them in a bowl of water for any length of time, that's a different story.

By these parts, the opposite has been proven, so at this point I believe that everyone has their own common sense, which, as far as I am concerned, certainly does not include putting the mushrooms in a bowl full of water.

I wonder if it makes a difference what variety of mushrooms they are? For example I could see that common button mushrooms probably aren't that affected by a quick wash because they're firm and fairly smooth skinned. Whereas more exotic or delicate mushrooms for example oyster mushrooms seem a lot more fragile and spongy...I could definitely see them absorbing water and/or being difficult to dry afterwards.

Me? If they're fairly clean already I tend not to wash mushrooms - I just wipe them off with a bit of damp kitchen towel if needed. Can't remember the last time I bought mushrooms that were so dirty they needed washing.

I wonder if it makes a difference what variety of mushrooms they are? For example I could see that common button mushrooms probably aren't that affected by a quick wash because they're firm and fairly smooth skinned. Whereas more exotic or delicate mushrooms for example oyster mushrooms seem a lot more fragile and spongy...I could definitely see them absorbing water and/or being difficult to dry afterwards.

An excellent point. I imagine washing delicate wild mushrooms such as girolles would not be a good thing.

....a 40 minute lecture on why pork that's not cooked until it's past shoe leather consistency is certain death on a plate. Once something gets ingrained in public consciousness, it's hard to shake it off.

trichinosis was not a required report earlier, then it became required reporting, then the rules for interstate pork feed got changed, twice, and there hasn't been a case of human trichinosis from commercial pork in a very long time.
however comma, in the 1940's an estimated 40% of the US population was infected - the pre-war agrarian society . . .

Washing mushrooms:

Unless they are to be eaten raw (immediately), I don't wash them. Sometimes I don't, even then. I use a damp paper towel to wipe dirt bits off. (Mom used to say one had to eat a peck of dirt before one dies - which as a kid got me worried if I might be getting towards my quota....) Anyhow, most mushrooms for sale these days (at least here) are grown in sterile soil. So it is mainly a matter of getting the grit off.

The worst thing to do to mushrooms is canning them!:mad:

You got that right!!

Anyhow, most mushrooms for sale these days (at least here) are grown in sterile soil. So it is mainly a matter of getting the grit off.
Same in the UK

(Mom used to say one had to eat a peck of dirt before one dies - which as a kid got me worried if I might be getting towards my quota....)
:roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom