Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ate a late breakfast at one of the three main "family restaurant" chains here, Bob Evans:

And I got a giggle out of this t-shirt:
\
Did you eat all that for brekkie? I never ceased to be surprised by your appetite TastyReuben! :D

I had the eggs plate and the biscuits and gravy. MrsTasty has the dessert crepes. I've got to think of my figure, after all.:wink:

Now I'm having tea.

PS - it was a pretty crap breakfast. :(

The sausage gravy looks pretty oily. It appears Bob Evan's doesn't put much emphasis on presentation, either. Do they put food on a plate with a shovel?

CD

The sausage gravy looks pretty oily. It appears Bob Evan's doesn't put much emphasis on presentation, either. Do they put food on a plate with a shovel?

I remember a construction project that I worked on in the early seventies where one crew cooked the breakfast on a shovel!

CD
Yeah, Bob Evans is the worst of the three main breakfast places around here. The only thing that was passably good were the eggs. The potatoes were watery (cooked from frozen, I imagine), and the gravy was just...nasty. I'm of the belief that breakfast gravy should be more white than brown.

Of the three (Frisch's and Cracker Barrel being the other two), the food is marginally better at Frisch's, the presentation definitely is not, though the service is better. Bob Evans, the service is notoriously spotty and slow, and yesterday was no exception. Dirty cup, forgot the cream for the coffee, had to stop someone twice for refills, and the server seemed a lot more interested in chatting with her regulars than in waiting tables.

Cracker Barrel...if you get there on a good day, the food is likely ok, though I finally quit going altogether after three or four bad service/food experiences in a row, capped off by finding a metal ID bracket in my hash brown casserole. That was probably four or five years ago.

Cracker Barrel is also, by far, the nosiest of the three, and even when there's no crowd in there, it sounds like a busy school cafeteria, and I have a real issue with restaurant noise.

We have a couple of local places we also go to, they're about the same, but there's been a real passing of the classic American diner, I think. Probably killed off by Bob Evans and Applebee's and places like that, and the last shovel of dirt thrown on by the latest creation to pop up around here, trendy upscale places that offer no traditional takes on breakfast, but plenty of whole grains and avocado and other things a Midwestern farm boy wouldn't usually eat for breakfast.

I live in a farming area, in a farming town of 14K people, and there isn't a single locally-owned diner in town. There's Bob Evans, Frisch's, and the fast-food places for breakfast, and that's it. All the old farmers nowadays meet at McDonald's for breakfast. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Picked up some beef sausages yesterday, having a BBQ tomorrow, predicted 29 deg c here. I kept 4 back to cook for brekky, I just cooked me some bacon eggs and sausages.
First pick looks really nice, but second pic after adding Worcester and tomato sauce, pepper and prepared to eat, it looked a real mess. Tasted really good though.
Russ

Yeah, Bob Evans is the worst of the three main breakfast places around here. The only thing that was passably good were the eggs. The potatoes were watery (cooked from frozen, I imagine), and the gravy was just...nasty. I'm of the belief that breakfast gravy should be more white than brown.

Of the three (Frisch's and Cracker Barrel being the other two), the food is marginally better at Frisch's, the presentation definitely is not, though the service is better. Bob Evans, the service is notoriously spotty and slow, and yesterday was no exception. Dirty cup, forgot the cream for the coffee, had to stop someone twice for refills, and the server seemed a lot more interested in chatting with her regulars than in waiting tables.

Cracker Barrel...if you get there on a good day, the food is likely ok, though I finally quit going altogether after three or four bad service/food experiences in a row, capped off by finding a metal ID bracket in my hash brown casserole. That was probably four or five years ago.

Cracker Barrel is also, by far, the nosiest of the three, and even when there's no crowd in there, it sounds like a busy school cafeteria, and I have a real issue with restaurant noise.

We have a couple of local places we also go to, they're about the same, but there's been a real passing of the classic American diner, I think. Probably killed off by Bob Evans and Applebee's and places like that, and the last shovel of dirt thrown on by the latest creation to pop up around here, trendy upscale places that offer no traditional takes on breakfast, but plenty of whole grains and avocado and other things a Midwestern farm boy wouldn't usually eat for breakfast.

I live in a farming area, in a farming town of 14K people, and there isn't a single locally-owned diner in town. There's Bob Evans, Frisch's, and the fast-food places for breakfast, and that's it. All the old farmers nowadays meet at McDonald's for breakfast. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You need a Waffle House. They look pretty "trailer park," but the food is always good, and cooked in front of you, so they can't hide bad food safety practices.

We have mostly Denny's and IHOP here, with a few Cracker Barrels (want some meal with your salt?), and a scattering of Waffle House locations.

But, we also have quite a few independent diners and local chains that serve a good country-style breakfast. Norma's is a DFW favorite for diner food. http://www.normascafe.com/menu/

CD

You need a Waffle House. They look pretty "trailer park," but the food is always good, and cooked in front of you, so they can't hide bad food safety practices.

We have mostly Denny's and IHOP here, with a few Cracker Barrels (want some meal with your salt?), and a scattering of Waffle House locations.

But, we also have quite a few independent diners and local chains that serve a good country-style breakfast. Norma's is a DFW favorite for diner food. Menu | Norma's Cafe

CD
We have Waffle House, just not as many as the other three, well, maybe WH and CB are about the same number, but BE and F are everywhere here. BE is an Ohio brand and F is a Cincy brand. I like WH quite a bit, expect for the noise. It's worse than a disco on NYE.

We have a few Denny's - maybe three tops in a 50 mile radius...and one is about 20 minutes from me. Pretty sorry breakfast and the absolute worst service, though they're friendly. I go there for a free breakfast on Veteran's Day.

IHOP - we have a few of those, but I never really cared for those. When I was single in the Air Force, that's where we'd go after a night of drinking.

There used to be a chain in San Antonio called Jim's that I liked a lot. I still remember the turquoise color scheme.

There's Denny's here, it's crapola, son goes there around 5 in the morning when out with the lads.
I won't step in there. I love my food too much.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom