Show me your local market. I love markets.

Just recently we got stranded in a little Utah farm town.
No chain grocery just one family market that was off the chain excellent.

Most the produce was local grown that looked so good it talked to you.
A fabulous meat section that was local sourced too.
Old school bakery daily fresh.
We can’t find bakers any more so we’re lucky we have one now” the manager told me.

Though our truck was in the shop Utah laws allow off Highway vehicles to be driven on the streets giving us transportation. No rent a cars avail in rural farm country.

Last edited:
Just recently we got stranded in a little Utah farm town.
No chain grocery just one family market that was off the chain excellent.
View attachment 53131

View attachment 53132

Most the produce was local grown that looked so good it talked to you.
A fabulous meat section that was local sourced too.
Old school bakery daily fresh.
We can’t find bakers any more so we’re lucky we have one now” the manager told me.

Though our truck was in the shop Utah laws allow off Highway vehicles to be driven on the streets giving us transportation. No rent a cars avail in rural farm country.

To me that looks like a supermarket. I'm now thinking we have another US/UK language difference with the word 'market'!

We have markets at Riccarton racecourse on Sunday's, I don't go, too many snowflakes and hippies. I have my own suppliers, like a market gardener I found, all dug the same day, potatoes carrots peas Chinese veges etc. I will travel,to get good stuff and fresh.

Russ

In UK terms, that would be a farm shop. To us, a market is a collection of independent traders, all selling their own various products.
Here in the US, these are local markets or farmer's markets, not shops. Markets here with collections of independent traders are often called flea markets, but they are not usually selling food items. However, we have a large market of vendors selling food items at a place about 45 miles from here in Cleveland called Westside Market. I'll try to find photos later. It's heavenly.

Here we go:

Last edited:
But supermarket and grocery stores here are interchangeable terms. Small stores that sell foods, be they enclosed or open air, are called farmer's markets or produce markets if they primarily sell fruits and vegetables. I don't know what you call that giant market in the photos above except heaven.

There's no market near where I live, so I'll pick one that I like very much. It's the English Market in Cork (city). It dates from the mid-19th century and is right in the city centre. They have a wonderful selection of stuff there - lots of different Irish breads and cheeses and also an olive stall that sells hundreds of varieties. Plenty for the meat eaters, too.

Attachments

• f8f1e664a70c21ebb019d71c4a903820-the-english-market.jpg
    f8f1e664a70c21ebb019d71c4a903820-the-english-market.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 125
Back
Top Bottom