Show us your fridge!

Getting ready for Thanksgiving, so the fridge is packed!

View attachment 92768

View attachment 92769

I've got quite a lot of the same/similar items to you but many of them are not kept in the fridge: alcohol such as sherry, well any alcohol really unless I want a beer to be cold, soy sauce, ketchup, Branston pickle, mustards, other pickles and sauces such as Worcestershire sauce, olives. All those things are not going to spoil out of the fridge. The whole purpose of pickling after all is to preserve things.

Different, of course if you have nowhere else to store them.

I've got quite a lot of the same/similar items to you but many of them are not kept in the fridge: alcohol such as sherry, well any alcohol really unless I want a beer to be cold, soy sauce, ketchup, Branston pickle, mustards, other pickles and sauces such as Worcestershire sauce, olives. All those things are not going to spoil out of the fridge. The whole purpose of pickling after all is to preserve things.

I used to keep really good vodka in the freezer. It doesn't freeze, and makes awesome shots.

CD

Here, because of the high temperatures (high was still 32°C today) and presence of ants, bugs, etc. many food items are kept in the fridge once opened. And given the bloody awful quality of the crap beer here it has to be kept very cold so that you can't really taste it.

soy sauce, ketchup, Branston pickle, mustards, other pickles and sauces such as Worcestershire sauce, olives. All those things are not going to spoil out of the fridge.

I don’t know if that’s large enough to read, but that’s just a sample, all labeled “refrigerate after opening.”

Vodka, schnapps and a couple of other boozy things get refrigerated, just because we prefer then that way (cold peppermint schnapps - delicious, room temp - not so much).

I don’t know if that’s large enough to read, but that’s just a sample, all labeled “refrigerate after opening.”

Yeah - its BS as far as I'm concerned (or possibly the US being hyper careful)! I've never put any of these things in the fridge and only once in a blue moon discovered mould on the top of olives in brine (most likely because I contaminated them myself).

I'll go and check my equivalent items to see if they say the same...

Yeah - its BS as far as I'm concerned (or possibly the US being hyper careful)! I've never put any of these things in the fridge and only once in a blue moon discovered mould on the top of olives in brine (most likely because I contaminated them myself).

I'll go and check my equivalent items to see if they say the same...
I do know that a lot of things can be left out (restaurants leave bottles of ketchup out on the tables all day long), but I think the one bottle above nails it when it says, “For best results, refrigerate after opening.”

Besides, I’m a big believer in following what the maker of the product tells me is the best practice in storing their product - they know how they made it, they know what’s in it, and they know any potential pitfalls in storing it, so I’ll always defer to them.

I do know that a lot of things can be left out (restaurants leave bottles of ketchup out on the tables all day long), but I think the one bottle above nails it when it says, “For best results, refrigerate after opening.”

Besides, I’m a big believer in following what the maker of the product tells me is the best practice in storing their product - they know how they made it, they know what’s in it, and they know any potential pitfalls in storing it, so I’ll always defer to them.

I checked similar items and most say the same on the label. But... I have at least 3 whole cupboards full of such items. I'd need a whole new fridge to accommodate them all. I'll carry on as before I think. Well, I don't really have an option unless I throw away loads of perfectly good pickles, condiments etc.

I never keep Chutneys, jams, things like soy sauce, fish sauce, ketchup, etc., in the fridge. They always survive perfectly well outside.
However, lentils, flour, pasta, spices - all in the fridge. Otherwise the weevils get them.-

I never keep Chutneys, jams, things like soy sauce, fish sauce, ketchup, etc., in the fridge. They always survive perfectly well outside.
However, lentils, flour, pasta, spices - all in the fridge. Otherwise the weevils get them.-

I like to keep my condiments in the back of my car -- especially the mayo. :wink:

Seriously, I keep condiments, jellies/jams, and other sauces in the fridge. Weevils and other larvae are not an issue here, at least in my house, so grains are okay in the pantry.

CD

I'd have no space in either fridge if any of those lived in my fridges.

Here, they are all decanted into sealed airtight mason jars (or equivalent). I've lived in houses where even sugar couldn't be left in its paper bag because slugs love it! Greats next hazard are cockroaches.

Great thing about airtight jars is that the running costs are only the setup costs and a new deal every couple of years, unlike a fridge.

I prepared this list some time ago but I cannot remember why. Maybe it was for cookingbites?

It can't have been a list that I prepared initially as such a list wouldn't have the N/A items on it.

I prepared this list some time ago but I cannot remember why. Maybe it was for cookingbites?
It can't have been a list that I prepared initially as such a list wouldn't have the N/A items on it.

That can't be your list. Chili is spelled right. :D

CD

Well, as a former professional pickle/chutney maker, you should know. Why do all the commercially made jars say 'keep in fridge when opened' though?

Back
Top Bottom