Show Us Your Shopping List!

Maybe 20-30 years ago, but certainly not unusual now.

White eggs are still more common, probably because they're so cheap - those eggs cost me $4US, and I can get regular white eggs (minus all the certifications) for $.99.

I care less about the shell and more about the innards, but I buy those because they're certified humane. If I'm eating an egg, I want to know the chickens haven't had their beaks lopped off first, piled atop one another, and all the other crap they do to chickens on larger factory farms.

When I have more time, I buy them from a farmer around the corner from the house, and the difference is amazing. The eggs from the farmer, I just about need a chisel to get the shells cracked and the yolk is some shade past deep orange. The extra-cheap white eggs are incredibly fragile (I've broken more than one just holding it in my hand) and the yolks are barely pale yellow.

All my eggs are brown eggs. It was the luck of the draw of the breeds I chose to raise - I didn't choose my breeds by egg color, but by alleged tempraments, egg-productivity, winter-hardiness, prices of the baby chicks, and other useful characteristics.

Their eggs are generally pretty hardy. I tripped and fell one evening in the yard, holding two eggs in one hand. Amazingly, they did not break or even crack!

Back
Top Bottom