Shrove Tuesday

There is an old chain of pancake houses in the US called The Original Pancake House, that has a cool logo and great pancakes -- Mercan style breakfast cakes.

They are the only places I can get buckwheat pancakes, a favorite since childhood. Buckwheat pancakes have a robust flavor, and usually include a little molasses in the batter recipe for even more of a rustic flavor.

Real butter and pure maple syrup ONLY on my cakes.

serveimage.jpeg

serveimage.png

There is an old chain of pancake houses in the US called The Original Pancake House, that has a cool logo and great pancakes -- Mercan style breakfast cakes.

They are the only places I can get buckwheat pancakes, a favorite since childhood. Buckwheat pancakes have a robust flavor, and usually include a little molasses in the batter recipe for even more of a rustic flavor.

Real butter and pure maple syrup ONLY on my cakes.

View attachment 37926
View attachment 37927
When I referenced our favorite breakfast place earlier, l was talking about the OPH! :)

When I referenced our favorite breakfast place earlier, l was talking about the OPH! :)

It really is a good pancake house. I only go there a couple times a year. Always in the winter for my Buckwheat Pancake fix. I am past due for some.

CD

I have no use for organized religion. I also don't do pancakes on Fat Tuesday. More likely to have red beans and rice or dirty rice for supper, or not.

I have no use for organized religion. I also don't do pancakes on Fat Tuesday. More likely to have red beans and rice or dirty rice for supper, or not.

Fat Tuesday falls within the day boundaries of the Bean Challenge. Just sayin'.

CD

It really is a good pancake house. I only go there a couple times a year. Always in the winter for my Buckwheat Pancake fix. I am past due for some.

CD
Before my wife had her stroke, we went two or three times a month, then we cut it back to about once a month, then even further to once every couple of months.

The one we went to here, they were known as much for their excellent service as well as their food. The last two times we went, though, the service had dropped off considerably, to the point that we complained to the manager (something we rarely do), and we haven't been back since. That was probably four or five months ago.

You could always adapt the recipe.... up the bean content!

It's a two-day recipe and I'm probably not willing to play with the quantities in order to enter it into the contest in time, considering other things I'm doing and cooking. And tasting back and forth to see if the increased bean content actually MAKES a pancake or not... BUT - I WILL post this recipe as it stands. Don't (always) need to enter a contest...

All right - the recipe does not take much hands down time at all... mostly a lot of soaking going on. But I'm also wanting to eat less carb this coming week...

It's a two-day recipe and I'm probably not willing to play with the quantities in order to enter it into the contest in time, considering other things I'm doing and cooking. And tasting back and forth to see if the increased bean content actually MAKES a pancake or not... BUT - I WILL post this recipe as it stands. Don't (always) need to enter a contest...

All right - the recipe does not take much hands down time at all... mostly a lot of soaking going on. But I'm also wanting to eat less carb this coming week...

I recently made some pancakes from home-made mung bean flour. Nothing added except water, salt & ground spices. I was experimenting so didn't take a photo but it seemed to work very well. I just ground up raw dried mung beans in a spice grinder to make flour. Traditional Indian recipes for Mung bean pancakes suggest soaking the mung beans and then rubbing skins off before processing to a paste and frankly, I couldn't be bothered so I cut out the soaking and skinning.

It is officially Fat Tuesday in New Orleans. I will eat some boiled crawfish if I can find them -- I found a couple places serving them. If not, some Étouffée at home (I have the ingredients in the freezer and pantry). I'm still hoping for some red beans and rice in the Beans challenge.

For now, Chill to some Trobone Shorty (from better days)...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rY67y5y2PU

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom