Shucking oysters.

bburned

Local time
12:07 AM
Long story, but I absentmindedly landed myself in the emergency room for stitches opening up an oyster. The doctor called a friend that owned a seafood place. That friend showed me how to open up an oyster. History was made. I am not fast, but I’m safe. Hehe.

I love the things, and my wife REALLY LOVE the things. Local oyster from Tomales Bay.

you shucking your own?

B449E5D7-E027-40AA-B3C4-6FFA0BDFD644.jpeg

Believe me, I love oysters. I mean I really love oysters. They rank in my top ten foods. And when I first tasted them in a restaurant I knew I had to learn how to shuck them. It took me a while and several different oyster knives but I now count myself as a pro. The oyster knife I use is from France and was really cheap to buy. I can shuck oysters quite fast these days.

Now I'm craving oysters!

I have an oyster shuker knife but I have never used it. I adore oysters, I fell in love with them whilst on my honeymoon in Sydney when I first had them at the central fish market. Since then I had them at every opportunity including Oysters Killpatrick at Yorkies Knob a couple of weeks later - which remains my favourite way.
Then on a visit to my favourite restaurant in Aldeburgh, Suffolk - the Lighthouse. One of them was a wrong un, and boy did I pay for it for 48 hours. Just shellfish roulette, nothing to do with the restaurant, and the patron Sam was heartbroken the next time I spoke to him. I need to get them inside me again, I really want to, but when I see the words on the menu, and the waitress with pen and notepad in hand I bottle out and go for the terrine.

We enjoyed 2 dozen French Kiss oysters from New Brunswick last week, really meaty and plump with a nice brininess and a sweet finish, quite nice.
Not to offend, but New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are my favorite provinces. Not just because of the seafood, though. I do like Ontario quite well though.

Not to offend, but New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are my favorite provinces. Not just because of the seafood, though. I do like Ontario quite well though.
The East Coast as we call this area is loved by pretty much all Canadians, especially the landscapes. Best known for muscles, which are decent but I prefer west coast mussels from Salt Spring Island and prefer east coast oysters mostly for their briny qualities.

The East Coast as we call this area is loved by pretty much all Canadians, especially the landscapes. Best known for muscles, which are decent but I prefer west coast mussels from Salt Spring Island and prefer east coast oysters mostly for their briny qualities.
Maritimes! I like the PEI mussels. The tide changes in the Bay of Fundy are spectacular. Loved the Truro Blues Fest and the tidal bore in the Salmon River was really cool. Had lobster at Peggy's Cove for $4 a pound. We stayed in beautiful old B&Bs. The tall ships in Halifax were amazing, and yes, the scenery everywhere was spectacular.

I had such a great time traveling through your country. I've been at least a dozen times and would love to see more of it. I've never been to the west side but I know people in Alberta and Vancouver Island I stay in touch with (met them in Mexico). My sister and I talked of taking the train across Canada as well. One of these days.

Edited to add I just looked at my hoodie I got in Truro, it was the Dutch Mason Blues Fest.

Last edited:
Maritimes! I like the PEI mussels. The tide changes in the Bay of Fundy are spectacular. Loved the Truro Blues Fest and the tidal bore in the Salmon River was really cool. Had lobster at Peggy's Cove for $4 a pound. We stayed in beautiful old B&Bs. The tall ships in Halifax were amazing, and yes, the scenery everywhere was spectacular.

I had such a great time traveling through your country. I've been at least a dozen times and would love to see more of it. I've never been to the west side but I know people in Alberta and Vancouver Island I stay in touch with (met them in Mexico). My sister and I talked of taking the train across Canada as well. One of these days.
Yeah, the East Coast is special and your making me want to get back there. Last time was with 2 buddies on motorcycles. The West Coast as you could imagine is worth the trip.

A close friend of mine is a Newfie. We've never talked about the seafood, just the views.

Oh, and there's this... :ohmy::laugh:

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 10.06.15 PM.jpg

CD

A close friend of mine is a Newfie. We've never talked about the seafood, just the views.

Oh, and there's this... :ohmy::laugh:

View attachment 83724

CD
Gordon Lightfoot is a Newfie. I've heard other Canadians say Newfies are strange. What I think is strange is a 350 pound plus Canadian man in a speedo, turned sideways!:rolleyes: They are all over our Hollywood beaches.

I'll never forget one year at a DEMA show (dive equipment manufacturers association) in NOLA a Canadian buddy I worked with and I doing serious inroads to the raw oysters at ACME Oyster Bar. 12+ dozens. You haven't lived until you've eaten an Oyster Po Boy fully dressed or a soft shell crab Po Boy fully dressed.

Back
Top Bottom