Simple Beans

DancingLady

Veteran
Local time
9:43 AM
Beans are a staple in my life right now due to their low cost and high nutrient value. I try to vary the kind of beans I use to get a wider range of nutrients, but I have a pretty basic, yet tasty old standby recipe that works with all kinds of beans.

First I soak the beans overnight, then rinse them thoroughly before adding fresh water for cooking. I think this helps make sure I get rid of as much gas producing toxins as possible.

My basic flavor ingredients are salt, chili powder and dried onions. I know it sounds really boring, but it actually tastes really good and doesn't cost much money. If available I will use fresh leaks or fresh onions, but for right now they are only available if I get them free from a friend's garden.

For pinto beans, I put them right into the pressure cooker after picking through them & washing them.
Then I add whatever smoked meat that I might have on hand.

In an hour, they're done! I take the pressure off and let the liquid boil down until slightly thickened. Done :wink:

Last edited:
I've never used a pressure cooker, that sounds pretty amazing though to be able to cook beans in so short a time. Do you have any favorite seasoning for pinto beans?

Usually the smoked meat, chopped onion, some chopped garlic, salt & pepper to taste. Also some Sylvia's Seasoning.
I also do kidney beans an limas the same way! :hungry:

I use tomato paste to thicken the liquid the beans are cooked in and it also adds a great taste. I think onions are usually essential in a bean dish. Potatoes and carrots go well in a bean stew too. Add any herbs or spices you want. These could be hot red spices, curry spices, mixed herbs or just good old garlic.

Back
Top Bottom