Site Security and https://

Can you help if the site is moved to default to the secure version?

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:03 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Update

Shaun, who kindly hosts this site, has enabled https:// over the weekend. However because of a number of issues the default remains http:// for the time being.

If you wish to use the secure version of this site, you'll need to change any bookmarks or shortcuts to the site and include the all important "s" in the web address you use. All of your history will need to be cleared and any cached passwords also cleared so that you start afresh as far as your web browser is concerned.

https://www.CookingBites.com will take you to the secure version of the site.

For the time being if you enter just www.CookingBites.com it will still go to the unsecured version. This will change in the future but in order for that to happen, I'll need everyone's help big time. If and when I take the site over to default to the secure site (which personally I think is inevitable) we'll lose our Google ranking (and every other search engine rankings as well ) and present to the world as a brand new site with zero credibility/ranking. If/when this happens we drop off the first page of results in any search engine and people searching for a recipe, help or advice simply won't see us. The number of new members coming our way will cease until we climb back up the rankings. We need to be on the first page or two of the search results. In order to do that, I would need all of your help with new content and new threads (not replies to threads unless they are current and new). New threads are the single most important thing along with accurate advice, good photos and current news topics (food or drink related) being discussed etc. One sentence replies that add nothing to the thread will not help us at all in regaining our Google ranking, in fact they actual do the opposite.

Obviously moving to the default site being the secure version has to happen sooner or later, and in my view, it needs to happen soon so that we can regain our credibility online because I believe that before long more web browsers will push towards secure sites and those that are not secure will be pushed down the search engine rankings being penalised for not having https:// in their web address.

The questions I have for all active members are
  • Are you behind me on this?
  • Can you put the 'work' in that will be required to regain our online credibility?
  • Can you all commit to creating several new threads each week so that we get the new content we need?
Threads in the café forum do not count towards this rating so they can tick over as normal and chatter won't be affected but everywhere else would need new and up-to-date content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously I will help - I trust this goes without saying.

I periodically post a featured thread urging members to start new threads and for a little while quite a lot of folk do respond. Then it drops down again (as it has recently). I've often said that if every active member (we average around 20 logging in each day) posted 2 or 3 new threads a week (about food and/or cooking please) then we would be rocking and rolling!

We really do need more active members to join so if anyone can recommend the forum to foodie friends this would also help.

Last edited:
I'll help, just might need to be prodded to remember to post a new thread about something as I tend to forget. I recently tried to get a new member to join that I know from another forum and think would be an asset, and apparently @morning glory also has asked her, but she said she would think about it, although she was pretty busy with her real life social life, traveling, her own blog, and the other forums she belonged too. So, I'll mention it to her again in a few weeks.

Quick question: When does the need for new threads start? Now, in a few weeks, or in a few months?

We always need new threads! But I think @SatNavSaysStraightOn means at the point when we migrate the whole forum to the new secure site (the https address) because at that point Google will 'think' its a new site so it will have no ranking.

Indeed there is always a need for new threads (especially instead of resurrecting old, dead threads. Anything that has died a death more than 6 months ago should be left in peace and a new thread started ideally) . But once the site is taken over to a secure site by default we will all need to put in a lot of work to get it back on the first page of google rankings . Something that is very important if the site is to thrive rather than just survive or die a death like so many others of a similar nature.

Re security - Should we change our passwords? Now or later, or both? Are our email addresses secure?

Re security - Should we change our passwords? Now or later, or both? Are our email addresses secure?

No need to change password unless you use an obvious one. Email addresses are secure. The main issue here is that you shouldn't post any bank details etc. The security is issue is to do with websites where you make financial transactions. There is simply nothing posted here of any interest to anyone trying to hack so no need to worry.

Its simply that we will have to move the forum to a 'secure' address because eventually 'non-secure' addresses will probably be flagged up by all search engines and this will mean we lose our ranking (and put off potential members).

Its simply that we will have to move the forum to a 'secure' address because eventually 'non-secure' addresses will probably be flagged up by all search engines and this will mean we lose our ranking (and put off potential members).
They already are penalised for not being secure. But the likelihood is that in future that penalty will become much more and it would be better to get secure now.
I explained the issue above in my long post. You only need to change your password if it matches certain criteria, outlined in the original post answering the query regarding the site not being secure. It tells you what information we hold and it's security and how at risk that information is. I'll not cover it here again because of its length but it is written in plain English, not IT technical talk, so I'd ask you to read it so you understand more about the issue . That obviously goes for everyone.

Another quick question: What are some of the search keyphrases that CookingBites ranks #1 on Google?
I'm pretty certain that is something I can only tell you from my laptop which is away with hubby at the moment. It will be Monday or Tuesday before I can even try to answer it. And I'd mentored that CB comes up on the first page of results rather than at the top of the list (perhaps I'm not that optimistic), so I won't necessarily be able to easy we are 1st for this key phrase. I'm still finding my way around that part of Google!

I'm pretty certain that is something I can only tell you from my laptop which is away with hubby at the moment. It will be Monday or Tuesday before I can even try to answer it. And I'd mentored that CB comes up on the first page of results rather than at the top of the list (perhaps I'm not that optimistic), so I won't necessarily be able to easy we are 1st for this key phrase. I'm still finding my way around that part of Google!
I apologize for the slight mis-type. I did mean "First page of Google", not necessarily the #1 spot.
I did a little research on my own and found a few First Page keyphrases
  • food discussion forum (Position #4)
  • food discussions (Position #6)
  • cooking forum (Position #2)
  • cooking forums (Position #1) :woot:
  • recipe forum (Position #4)
  • recipe forums (Position #3)
For those who are new to the whole SEO/Google challenge, obtaining a first page ranking is not easy. The staff at CookingBites deserves a huge round of applause. :bravo:

Back
Top Bottom