Slow cooked beans

ally79

Veteran
Local time
6:28 AM
We are a family on a very tight budget so one way that we supplement our protein from meat is to use dried beans. You can get a pound of dried beans for $1 or just a little more and a 1 pound of dried beans cooked is a LOT! I usually wash my dried beans and then put them in the crockpot and cover them with water. Then we add one package of onion soup mix or a couple of beef or chicken bouillon cubes and let them cook on low all day. You just have to check on them every once in awhile to make sure they have plenty of water. They can be used as a side dish or as a main dish with some fresh cornbread.

With most of my dried beans (and we use a lot) I have found that 1 cup of dried beans equates to 2 1/4 cups of cooked beans.
I also use butter beans (and chickpeas) to make my vegan pates from which serve as lunch most days of the week.
I cook them with the addition of 1/2 tsp of tumeric (which aids digestion) and several slices of ginger. Sometimes I will also add several cloves of garlic (whole cloves) to the beans cooking as well. This combination works really well with rice as well.

(We eat a lot of homemeade (vegan) indian meals here, including making my own chipatis and naan breads, as well as using rice/barley/spelt with cornmeal to make rice cakes which work really well with Indian and almost any soup. https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/barley-spelt-rice-cakes.111/

Our family loves to eat dried beans as well. It is cheaper to get them dry and cook them yourself than to buy them canned. Not to mention you know exactly what is going into the dish. I love to use our crockpot for our dry bean dishes. My hubby's favorite is pinto beans. What is your favorite @ally79?

Well, my husband's favorite is the large limas but my personal favorite is black-eyed peas. I like to put stewed tomatoes on them and eat them with mashed potatoes and cornbread.

Back
Top Bottom