Slow Cooked Chicken

Reverend Jimmy

Veteran
Local time
2:01 PM
So my girlfriend got a slow cooker, which is one of the best cooking implements ever created by man, and we recently made an excellent batch of slow cooked chicken.

We put about... hm, probably 7 lbs of chicken leg quarters in the cooker. (We had a 10 lb. bag but they wouldn't quite all fit.) Then dumped a bottle of kind of vinegary barbeque sauce and a bottle of yellow mustard in, stirred the mess about and turned the cooker on to auto.

We went out to work on this broken tree problem my friends have- we were doing this all at their place- while I left the pot almost to its own devices, stirring it maybe twice or three times over the next... maybe 6 hours?

IT WAS SO DELICIOUS, YOU GUYS.

It was kind of like pulled pork, but chicken, and a bit more sour, but soooo good! It's on the list to do again soon.

This recipe sounds delicious. I have a slow cooker, but mainly use it for soups. You can throw vegetables, paste, a couple cups of water inside and your meat of choice. A few hours later, you have a wonderful warm soup great for winter.

The sourness was probably down to the mustard, so if you wanted to counteract that a little next time, you could add a little honey to the mix. Or a friend of mine has had a lot of success with adding orange or lemon marmalade to chicken in the slow cooker. That would also counteract the sourness, due to the sugar in the marmalade. Sounds excellent - I'll experiment with this one, thank you.

Glad you enjoyed it. That sounds like an awful lot of mustard to be using though - a whole bottle? I probably only would have added a tablespoon or two per bottle of BBQ sauce.

If you really like that mustardy kick, another great combo is Apricot Preserves along with Spicy Brown Mustard (to taste), and add a little garlic powder and freshly ground black pepper to finish it off. I normally use it as a glaze on Pork Loin, but it would also work with Chicken, giving it a Sweet & Sour taste.

Or if you are in more of hurry, you can get your favorite bbq dry rub, and combine it with some vegetable oil to form a paste. Generously coat the chicken leg quarters with it, and place them on a cookie rack over a baking sheet and into a 350 degree oven uncovered for about 45 min to an hour, until they are golden, crispy and cooked through. You can serve the BBQ sauce warmed on the side, and/or brush some on the chicken towards the end of cooking.

That sounds delicious! Chicken is one of my favorites and your recipe sounds fantastic! I love mustard! Have you ever used brown, spicy mustard? It is very good! And it gives such great kick! It's great! Another great addition is honey BBQ sauce! Something about the sweet honey gives the chicken a sweet taste, but mixed with the BBQ sauce gives it a tangy flavor.
I absolutely love my slow cooker! There are so many great recipes and combinations you can do! Plus it cooks on its own, with little effort on our part! Isn't so great to just throw some food in, plug it in, and then come back hours later to a fresh, warm meal?! Doesn't get much better than that! :)

What I like to do is cook a whole marinated chicken in a bag on a low heat for 3 to 4 hours in the oven, just keep turning it so that the juices cooks into both sides, then later on take it out of the bag, be careful 'cuz the meat will be falling off the bone, put it on an overn tray, pour any remainder of the marinade over it and stick it back in the oven on grill for a while, the skin crisps but the meat is soft and tender and falling off the bone and YUM!, carve the chicken, serve with some potato chips or veggies of your choice and you got a meal for 4 people.

Back
Top Bottom