Slow Cooker Use and Recipe Discussion

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:49 PM
Slow cookers (crockpots) - how often do you use yours? Do you have any interesting ideas for new ways to use them? Perhaps you are anti crock pot! Tell us your views and ideas.

Last edited:
Mod.Edit - some posts are copied over from a previous thread.

I think crock pots AKA slow cookers have gotten a bad rap these days. Experiment with your pot regarding cooking time and follow the directions that came with your Crock-Pot.

I like to cook my tomato sauce in the crock pot. I brown
my meatballs first on the stove, then add them to the pot. I add San Marzano Tomatoes, garlic, cooked onions, Italian seasonings a little red wine. Then add my browned meatballs to the sauce. I've tucked a few ravioli in the sauce with the meatballs about an hour or less before the end of cooking time.You could also do braciole this way. There's a good recipe for Sunday gravy at foodnetwork.com. I've also made beef bourguignon in the slow cooker.
It helps to brown your beef first. Cooking times will vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guilty of not using my slow cooker (the UK name for a Crock Pot) very often. I used to use it for slow cooking cheap cuts of meat but since I now cook so much vegan/vegetarian food I'm using it less. So I need to think more creatively about how to use it....

Last edited:
I don't go so much by time, as I go by doneness.

You can make shrimp scampi, cook salmon with some lemon slices, herbs and or seasoning of choice, and a glug of white wine, or bake bread in a slow cooker/crock pot too.

Or a Low Country Boil
(Shrimp, corn, kielbasa, and potatoes)
I skip the celery, sometimes use mini corn cobettes from the market. Add some sliced lemons, if you like. Serve with crusty buttered baguette slices, a big pitcher of fruity sangria, and hot sauce on the side, if you like. Crab legs added at the end, would be great, if you have them. Spread out newspaper on the table, and have at it.

https://www.mrfood.com/Slow-Cooker-Recipes/Slow-Cooker-Low-Country-Boil

Last edited:
You can make shrimp scampi, cook salmon with some lemon slices, herbs and or seasoning of choice, and a glug of white wine, or bake bread in a slow cooker/crock pot too.

I know you go by 'doneness' but seafood and fish are ruined by long cooking - what 'sort-of' time do you cook them for?

Until the fish flakes easily with a fork, and the shrimp are no longer translucent. Give the shrimp a stir once in awhile.
I watch it though. I don't just dump everything in and walk away. Sometimes it only takes about an hour and a half. If you have a favorite recipe, try to adapt it for the slow cooker and see how it works out. Hope that helps

Last edited:
I COULD use the slow cooker, but since I cook the tomato sauce low & slow on the stove, anyway. I feel that there is no need to do it in the slow cooker

Using the lowest setting on the stove's burner, I'm very carful not to let it scorch or burn on the bottom. It sits there for about 4 hours anyway. At least that is how I do mine.

I try to make at least a double or triple batch so that I don't have to make more the 2nd or 3rd time.
:wink:
My nerw Boss Pot!!.jpg

Last edited:
Until the fish flakes easily with a fork, and the shrimp are no longer translucent. Give the shrimp a stir once in awhile.
I watch it though. I don't just dump everything in and walk away. Sometimes it only takes about an hour and a half. If you have a favorite recipe, try to adapt it for the slow cooker and see how it works out. Hope that helps

Intersting - its somehow completely counter intuitive to cook shrimp for over an hour. :scratchhead: But OTOH, sous-vide cooking is low and slow...

Check for doneness after about a half an hour or so. Some pots get hotter than others.:bbq:

You mentioned liking veggies in the other CP thread. Me too :). I've seen a whole butternut squash and halved spaghetti squash cooked in the slow cooker (as a side for meatballs, etc.). Will have to put that on the list.

Last edited:
Intersting - its somehow completely counter intuitive to cook shrimp for over an hour. :scratchhead: But OTOH, sous-vide cooking is low and slow...
When poaching a piece of fish such as salmon, or shellfish such as prawns or mussels, I would only cook them for a few minutes. My Crock Pot takes takes ages to warm up, so I wouldn't dream of using it for anything that I didn't intend to cook for several hours. It is mostly used for cooking lamb shanks, left on low all day until the meat falls off the bone, and an unctuous sauce is created from the meat juices, vegetables, red wine and herbs.

Back
Top Bottom