Slow Cookers, Anyone?

Come to think about it, I DO have a slow cooker.
My sister-in-law, who will take 12 hours just prepping a hamburger.
We had a big family pizza cook-off one year - I like to make pizza, as does my brother, and a niece-in-law was a manager at an upscale-ish pizza chain here and had just come out of something like six months of pizza school, so she wanted in on it.

Everything was fine, but with her…she has a fondness for the wildwood weed, so to speak, so everything she did was at a snail’s pace.

We both started out shaping out dough balls into pizza bases, and I’m not particularly fast, but I had mine shaped and stretched in a few minutes.

Looked over her way, and she looked like a little girl lazily picking flowers in the meadow - she’d shape a little, then look around and something else would catch her eye and she’d stop for several seconds, then she’d stretch it a little, and reach down to give the dog a piece of cheese.

Topping it was the same. She’d have a handful of pepperoni slices…she’d put one down, look around absentmindedly while nibbling on a piece of pepperoni, then she’d get back around to putting down one more slice…then she’d look at mine and say, “Woooooow, Taste, your pizza looks so…what’s the word I’m looking for?…oh, yeah…gooooooood!” then down with another slice of pepperoni…

Pizzas took about nine minutes in the two ovens we had, and both mine and my brothers’ were done and sliced up to eat while she was still building hers.

She was, at one point, putting single shreds of cheese on the top - cheesing a 14-inch pizza literally one shred at a time, and just wistfully smiling and saying how much fun everything was… 😵‍💫 :laugh:

I have a seven quart sized crockpot that I use for bone broth, stews and ever so often Kalua Pork.
I like to use it to cook something overnight and have it ready in the morning.
I set it out on my work bench in the garage, over a thick wooden cutting board, so as not to heat up the surrounding bench (laminate topped).
But I do have to say that my Instant Pot is fast taking over the roll of the the slow cooker.
I can cook alot of things in the IP much faster and in most cases, just as delicious... haven't tried Kalua Pork in it yet though.
I am pretty sure I cooked the last Kalua pork I made in the pressure cooker and it was great.

with her…she has a fondness for the wildwood weed, so to speak
Yep. There's one in every family, without fail!
My SIL will stand next to me when I'm cooking and ask me about everything - which I hate because I (usually) know what I'm doing and I can see my words entering into one ear and emerging like a 7.65 at the other side...

Anyone tried one of these?
IMG_2912.jpeg

Home | Wonderbag™.

It's an easier version of haybox cooking.

I bought one donkeys years ago but didn't really get on with it, preferring a standard electric slow cooker.

It was good for keeping things hot in the car but that's about as far as I got with it.
Thinking about it I always used lightweight dishes in there and a cast iron pot would probably do a much better job 🤔

The amazon reviews are good (they weren't sold on amazon when I bought mine) so perhaps I should have a read into it and give it another go?

Would probably really suit someone who didn't have a plentiful or reliable energy source or just wants to cut down of burning fuel.
Or perhaps SatNavSaysStraightOn on those busy uni days?!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom