Slushies

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
7:44 AM
I'm not sure I want to get started making these, at least not now as winter is coming in the northern hemisphere.

But there might be other reasons, as well. To make a slushie, sugar is required to prevent the ice from melting and it holds the ice together.

Slushies can be carbonated or not. They may include sodas or fruit juices. Alcohol beverage slushies? And they might be more difficult to make than simply grinding up ice and adding sugar. Slushies are made commercially in special machines for the purpose. Truly, I haven't seen a slushie machine in a long long time.

Is it possible to make home made slushies?

When I was a kid I would put unopened soda in the freezer: either I would remember in the nick of time and get a slushie, or it would freeze solid because I forgot. Sometimes it would explode upon freezing, then I'd have to clean up the mess in the freezer or face mother's wrath hehe.

The point of ^that nostalgia is that I remember sugary carbonated beverages making better slushies than water or flat sugary beverages, which would just freeze solid.

Alcoholic beverages make even better slushies. Have you ever kept a bottle of Vodka in the freezer? It gets super cold and syrup-like in consistency, but never freezes because alcohol has a much lower freezing temperature compared to water and other products you typically find in home freezers. So lets say you make a margarita at room temperature and put it in the freezer, it will still freeze solid, but it will take longer to do so, meaning you can retrieve it before that happens and throw it in a blender.

The last time I had a slushie it was from a movie theater cocession stand and was called a Slurpee.

BTW: As FowlersFreeTime mentions about a coke can exploding in the freezer, who hasn't had this happen? It has certainly been something this idiot has had happen, more than once. That's a post for the "Don't You Just Love It" thread.

BTW: As FowlersFreeTime mentions about a coke can exploding in the freezer, who hasn't had this happen? It has certainly been something this idiot has had happen, more than once. That's a post for the "Don't You Just Love It" thread.
I keep pop out in the garage, because we drink so little of it. Three 12-packs with last me months and months.

After some cold Winter nights, I'll occasionally find exploded cans in the garage: "Why is this can so light?...and so sticky?" :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom