Smoked Fillet Cod

LeeMills

Local time
2:43 AM
Hi all,

I've recently moved house into the Welsh countryside and corner shops and supermarkets don't exist nearby; this has meant / forced me to cook a lot more home-make food.

I'm very much a beginner when it comes to cooking at home and don't have any developed skill in putting a plate full of food together. I bought some Smoked Cod Fillet and have no idea of the vegetables to put with it and the sauces. I've had a look around online but there's so much information it's a tad overwhelming. Instead, I thought I'd ask a simple question and find out a simple meal to put together.

Hopefully you don't give me too much of a hard time asking a silly question!

Thanks for your help,

Lee.

Hopefully you don't give me too much of a hard time asking a silly question!

Its not a silly question. The way I see it is that if fish is smoked its going to have a lot of flavour already. You don't need to go mad with elaborate sauces. I recently posted this recipe: Recipe - Smoked Haddock and Colcannon with Whisky and Mustard Sauce

Its for haddock but cod will work just as well. The whisky sauce is very easy to make. I served it in a 'cheffy' way but it would be good with mashed potatoes and peas for a bigger plateful.

Otherwise, you really could just poach it and put a knob of butter on top. The main thing is not to overcook the fish. It really does only take minutes. Once its opaque its done. A 5 minute job!

Its not a silly question. The way I see it is that if fish is smoked its going to have a lot of flavour already. You don't need to go mad with elaborate sauces. I recently posted this recipe: Recipe - Smoked Haddock and Colcannon with Whisky and Mustard Sauce

Its for haddock but cod will work just as well. The whisky sauce is very easy to make. I served it in a 'cheffy' way but it would be good with mashed potatoes and peas for a bigger plateful.

Otherwise, you really could just poach it and put a knob of butter on top. The main thing is not to overcook the fish. It really does only take minutes. Once its opaque its done. A 5 minute job!
Hi MG,

Thanks for the recipe - looks fantastic. I'll crack on and make it in the next couple of days and post and update on how I did.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Lee.

Hi MG,

Thanks for the recipe - looks fantastic. I'll crack on and make it in the next couple of days and post and update on how I did.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Lee.

Well I hope you have stored it in the freezer as if you bought it fresh last Monday, you should have cooked it by now! Assuming its frozen, allow to defrost before poaching it.

Back
Top Bottom