Smoked Salt

I made some once, and it didn't really seem to add much to the finished dish, the smoke flavor got kind of lost.
Same. While it does work but considering the amount of salt that's generally used for most applications I don't bother with it. Now, salted butter, that's a different story. I smoke butter all the time, why, because when I use butter I use butter lolol.

Although used in moderation, I have developed a keen taste for many types of flavoured salt. A large bag lasts me about 12 months.

IMG_0379.JPG

Smoked salt is probably best used on dressings and seasonings as, previously mentioned, the flavour can be lost during cooking. However, my one exception is when seasoning flour for frying liver. I used a blend of salts and pepper in the flour before coating and frying the liver in lard. The remaining flour is then mixed with onions in the pan and fried to create a gravy into which the fried liver Is placed to finish it off. One of my favourite dishes in the winter.
Curious, I've never seen Smoked Salt before.
Is it a finishing Salt? How should I use it?
Does it have a strong smoke flavor?
What kind of wood did you use Rocklobster ?

Smoked salt is probably best used on dressings and seasonings as, previously mentioned, the flavour can be lost during cooking. However, my one exception is when seasoning flour for frying liver. I used a blend of salts and pepper in the flour before coating and frying the liver in lard. The remaining flour is then mixed with onions in the pan and fried to create a gravy into which the fried liver Is placed to finish it off. One of my favourite dishes in the winter.
Nice to see some people still use lard. Cheers.

Our Community has a Craft & Bake Sale each Fall & Spring.
In the past I've done very well with my Cakes, I was thinking about what Rocklobster said about selling small 2 ounce containers of the stuff in his shop... I did some research and small air-tight containers of the stuff gets better with age
💡
I have a bunch of those small Mason Jars in my outdoor pantry!

Our Community has a Craft & Bake Sale each Fall & Spring.
In the past I've done very well with my Cakes, I was thinking about what Rocklobster said about selling small 2 ounce containers of the stuff in his shop... I did some research and small air-tight containers of the stuff gets better with age
💡
I have a bunch of those small Mason Jars in my outdoor pantry!

You just reminded me I need to smoke some cheese. I'll stick some salt in the cold smoker at the same time.

Right now would be perfect, since it is currently 28F/-2C outside. But, I just got back from the store, and I'm not going out again. It is nasty out there -- cold and windy. :cold:

CD

You just reminded me I need to smoke some cheese. I'll stick some salt in the cold smoker at the same time.

Right now would be perfect, since it is currently 28F/-2C outside. But, I just got back from the store, and I'm not going out again. It is nasty out there -- cold and windy. :cold:

CD
I'm going to give it a go with my gasser and I saw at our local hardware store something called A-Maze-N Smoker Tube.
Ooh, smoked cheese while I'm at it? YEAH! And a Salmon fillet too :bbq:

I'm going to give it a go with my gasser and I saw at our local hardware store something called A-Maze-N Smoker Tube.
Ooh, smoked cheese while I'm at it? YEAH! And a Salmon fillet too :bbq:

I have an A-Maze-N Smoke tube. That is what I currently use for cold smoking cheese. Jut that, inside any of my grills. If you use your gasser, don't light it, just use the smoke from the Smoke Tube -- at least for cheese. You don't want any heat. And, do it on a cold day or night.

CD

I have an A-Maze-N Smoke tube. That is what I currently use for cold smoking cheese. Jut that, inside any of my grills. If you use your gasser, don't light it, just use the smoke from the Smoke Tube -- at least for cheese. You don't want any heat. And, do it on a cold day or night.

CD
I see many applications for this device in my future.
Doing the Smoked Salt and Cheese now while it's cold out would be wise, correct?

Doing the Smoked Salt and Cheese now while it's cold out would be wise, correct?

Yes. If the smoking chamber (grill) gets hot, your cheese will melt. It is 28F here right now, which would be perfect for cold smoking cheese, but I'm home for the night, and staying inside.

Cheese is also a real smoke sponge. The softer the cheese, they more of a sponge it is. Go light on the smoke. Those smoke tubes don't create a massive amount of smoke, and it is a pretty clean smoke.

Salt will probably need a lot more smoking time than cheese.

CD

Back
Top Bottom