Smoothie Machine

DancingLady

Veteran
Local time
10:03 AM
Do you have to have a smoothie machine to make smoothies? I have a blender, but I am not sure I am comfortable putting frozen fruit in it. It makes a lot of noise which isn't pleasant and makes me wonder it it is going to break it if I do it again.

I have a high speed high powered liquidiser only. I don't have a smoothie machine. Frozen fruit is not like putting ice cubes in it, it is much software for a start and mine certainly has no issues with frozen fruit. Try small quantities at a time and you can always partially defrost the frozen fruit first with a little planning, by just getting it out of the freezer an hour before you plan to do anything.

Mr WD bought one, but to be honest he only used it about 4 times. It now sits in the cupboard gathering dust.

A liquidizer does smoothies in our house, it has s plastic bowel so no risking shattering

I don't think a smoothie maker is worth the clutter. As @SatNavSaysStraightOn & @Berties say, a liquidiser does the job. Or sometimes I just use a stick blender for soft fruit. To be honest though, I'm not a smoothie addict. As I'm on a semi-permanent diet, I'm wary of smoothies as they (innocently!) pack a shed load of calories into a single drink. I just eat some fruit if I want fruit.

at home we use smoothies as way of using up fruit going over ,we get a lot of soft fruits this time of year, and theres only so much banana cake you can make with the over ripe ones in our fruit basket ,so a jug of smoothie is a regular occurence

I have a mini blender that literally was only $15 and it works fab for making smoothies - we put frozen fruit in it all the time and it's held up just fine (we've had it almost 3 years now, still going strong and my husband basically uses it daily!)

I think as long as it's got liquid in it too, and that's surrounding the frozen fruit then it should be fine. Our blender certainly isn't the strongest/most powerful on the market by any stretch of the imagination and it gets the job done!

For me a smoothie maker would be one of those gadgets that's just good for one thing only - I prefer to use my blender because I can also use it for other stuff too so I don't feel like it's a wasted piece of kitchen equipment.

Use our smoothie maker every day. It's the only thing that is robust enough for frozen fruit, ice cubes, and nuts.
Never worry about the calorie count as over half our smoothie is vegetable - kale, spinach leaves, fennel.

Lovely way to start the day.

MM

Back
Top Bottom