Snacks - Chips or Crisps (or whatever)?

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
9:26 PM
What do you call them?

The description on the packet of Doritos calls them "Nachos" whereas the description on the packet of Chachos calls them "Tortilla Corn Chips". For a reason I know not what, I call them "Tacos".

[Edit: the Doritos are manufactured in China, the Chachos are manufactured in Malaysia].

Last edited:
Here, I call what you call crisps chips, as in potato chips. But only potato chips are called chips. Virtually any other snack chip is called by some facsimile of its proper name:

Fritos-style corn chips are called Fritos, whether they’re actually name-brand Fritos or not.

Tortilla chips are called tortilla chips, popcorn (and it’s relative puffcorn) are called popcorn, Cheetos-branded cheese snack thingies are called Cheetos, unless they’re the puffed variety, then they’re called cheese puffs (or poofs).

Pringles, Munchos, Funyuns are all called by those names.

If I said, “Would you bring me some chips?” and you brought me tortilla chips, I’d say, “Why’d you bring me these? I asked for chips.” Chips, by itself, always means potato chips, which you call crisps.

Here, they are tortilla chips. They are just corn tortillas cut up and deep fried until crunchy. If you take tortilla chips, and top them with melted cheese, they are nachos. Tacos are something else entirely.

I believe Lay's Doritos were the first tortilla chips with flavoring dusts on them (not sure, but think that's right). I believe they were Dorito's Nacho Cheese tortilla chips.

Nachos have an interesteing history...

Nachos originated in the city of Piedras Negras, Coahuila, just over the border from Eagle Pass, Texas. Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya created nachos at the Victory Club in 1940 when Mamie Finan, a regular customer, asked if Anaya could bring her and three other women a different snack than usual. In Spanish, "Nacho" is a common nickname for Ignacio. Anaya went to the kitchen and spotted some corn tortillas. In a moment of culinary inspiration, Anaya cut the tortillas into triangles, fried them, added shredded Colby cheese, quickly heated them, added sliced pickled jalapeño peppers, and served them. After tasting the snack, Finan asked what it was called. Anaya responded, "Well, I guess we can just call them Nacho's Special."

Today, nachos are often piled high with all kinds of meats, beans, cheeses, sour cream -- the sky is the limit.

CD

Here, I call what you call crisps chips, as in potato chips. But only potato chips are called chips. Virtually any other snack chip is called by some facsimile of its proper name:

Fritos-style corn chips are called Fritos, whether they’re actually name-brand Fritos or not.

Tortilla chips are called tortilla chips, popcorn (and it’s relative puffcorn) are called popcorn, Cheetos-branded cheese snack thingies are called Cheetos, unless they’re the puffed variety, then they’re called cheese puffs (or poofs).

Pringles, Munchos, Funyuns are all called by those names.

If I said, “Would you bring me some chips?” and you brought me tortilla chips, I’d say, “Why’d you bring me these? I asked for chips.” Chips, by itself, always means potato chips, which you call crisps.

I thought that I was confused before......................

Oh, and I would add that Doritos are called…Doritos. They’re distinguished from regular tortilla chips by their flavor dust/powder, and since they’re already flavored, we’d never, ever, ever under any circumstance whatsoever, dip a Dorito in salsa. Tortilla chips, yes. Doritos, no. At least around here, anyway.

Oh, and I would add that Doritos are called…Doritos. They’re distinguished from regular tortilla chips by their flavor dust/powder, and since they’re already flavored, we’d never, ever, ever under any circumstance whatsoever, dip a Dorito in salsa. Tortilla chips, yes. Doritos, no. At least around here, anyway.

I've dipped Nacho Cheese Doritos into salsa before. It works.

CD

You would be really confused by the Texas usage of the Coke name. A coke is any softdrink. They you specify what kind of coke.

Me: Hey, do you want a coke?
Friend: Sure.
Me: What kind?
Friend: I'll take a Dr. Pepper.

:scratchhead:

CD
Dr. Pepper is a PepsiCo brand product :roflmao:

Dr. Pepper is a PepsiCo brand product :roflmao:

Only in Australia.

The Parent company is Keurig Dr. Pepper. The soft drink subsidiary is Dr. Pepper Snapple, based in Dallas.

Coca-cola makes Dr. Pepper in Europe, and PepsiCo in Australia, under license.

The corporate headquarters of Frito-Lay, which makes Doritos, is a few blocks away from Dr. Pepper Snapple headquarters, about ten miles from me.

CD

G
Here, they are tortilla chips. They are just corn tortillas cut up and deep fried until crunchy. If you take tortilla chips, and top them with melted cheese, they are nachos. Tacos are something else entirely.

I believe Lay's Doritos were the first tortilla chips with flavoring dusts on them (not sure, but think that's right). I believe they were Dorito's Nacho Cheese tortilla chips.

Nachos have an interesteing history...

Nachos originated in the city of Piedras Negras, Coahuila, just over the border from Eagle Pass, Texas. Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya created nachos at the Victory Club in 1940 when Mamie Finan, a regular customer, asked if Anaya could bring her and three other women a different snack than usual. In Spanish, "Nacho" is a common nickname for Ignacio. Anaya went to the kitchen and spotted some corn tortillas. In a moment of culinary inspiration, Anaya cut the tortillas into triangles, fried them, added shredded Colby cheese, quickly heated them, added sliced pickled jalapeño peppers, and served them. After tasting the snack, Finan asked what it was called. Anaya responded, "Well, I guess we can just call them Nacho's Special."

Today, nachos are often piled high with all kinds of meats, beans, cheeses, sour cream -- the sky is the limit.
Guilty as charged
Russ

Doco on tv about food, guy from doritos says dorito means little flakes of gold. Cant see hed be wrong?
He´s using a bit of poetic licence on that.
"Dorar" in Spanish means to brown, to tan, to bronze or to grill.
"El Dorado", the mythical place in Mexico covered in gold, means golden, or gold-coloured.
The suffix "ito" basically means a little one, and is often used as a term of endearment, as in " Mi amorcito" or "Carlos - Carlito"

I call them corn chips. Together with junk on them, nachos.

Fritos are Corn Chips, to me. Doritos are Tortilla Chips. Says so right on the packages. :D

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 6.19.56 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 6.20.59 AM.jpg

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom