So many grills

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
9:38 AM
I was at home depot looking at grills and not to sound like Seinfeld but what's the deal with all these grills?! Some of these look so complicated you need 2 engineers, a mathematician and a Rabbi just to use them. Man, do these look complicated.

At Home Depot, just look at the Webers, and ignore the rest. They are expensive, but my oldest Kettle was purchased in 1995, and my Weber Genesis gas grill is 21 years old, and I can still get parts for both of them. Oh, my Genesis is outside 24/7/365.

CD

The 2 we've had (didn't like the first one) have both come to us from Freecycle: Front Door . This last one has been excellent, though lacking in the hood to act as an oven that the first one had. The only thing I've done to it is replace 2 of the dials. I do need to look at the self lighting mechanism though because the clicker only ignites the far right gas bar, so I then have to turn the nearest left on, let it self ignite from gas meeting flame, turn off far right, turn on next left, repeat and repeat, if I want the far left bar lit... else use a very long match, but that's a winter job when I may treat the wood to a sand down and new varnish. It also lives outside 24/7 but cost me nothing.

i have had a blackstone for years , it stays outside 24/7 in rain and snow , we cook on it 3-4 times a week, never had a problem

blackstone 1.jpg blackstone 2.jpg

I was at home depot looking at grills and not to sound like Seinfeld but what's the deal with all these grills?! Some of these look so complicated you need 2 engineers, a mathematician and a Rabbi just to use them. Man, do these look complicated.
I know what you mean, they have a very flashy brand, Nexgrill I think? catches my eye every time.
Next time I buy a grill or smoker though, I'm buying something I know will last a bit longer (and have more parts available) than my Char-Broil stuff. CD's endorsement of Weber will weigh heavily in my next purchasing decision.

i don't even own a "grill" anymore , i have found i like my griddle far better than any "grill" i ever owned
now i have just a smoker and griddle, using a smoke tube with hickory chips i can even smoke hash browns on it

Last edited:
I know what you mean, they have a very flashy brand, Nexgrill I think? catches my eye every time.
Next time I buy a grill or smoker though, I'm buying something I know will last a bit longer (and have more parts available) than my Char-Broil stuff. CD's endorsement of Weber will weigh heavily in my next purchasing decision.

Weber's customer service is awesome. I can call them, and get any part I need for my 2001 Genesis gas grill for a reasonable price, and have it in a few days. One of the two plastic casters on my Genesis broke a few weeks ago. I called Weber Customer Service, and they had my grills on file, and I had two new casters in about three days. It cost me about 20-bucks with taxes and shipping.

I had a Charbroil gas grill once. It lasted three summers, and the inside structure was completely rusted out. And that's in Dallas -- I can't imagine what it would do in South Florida.

Weber's are expensive, but I look at it this way... Buying a new grill every three years will be more costly than buying one every 20-plus years.

I like the Blackstone griddle, but I don't know where I would put it. I can put a cast iron griddle on one of my other grills, if I want to griddle something. I also have a smoke tube I can use on my gas grill, but I usually smoke things on the Weber Kettle where I can use charcoal and wood chunks.

CD

i have used the griddle plates on grills in the past , just doesn't do the same job , the griddle gets much hotter than a grill with a cast plate on it and is by far the best thing i have found for searing a nice streak on , i have owned 2 webbers and they are top of the line as far as grills go and i liked both of them , but i still wouldn't trade my blackstone for one ...lol

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend any good brands to look out for?

As I mentioned, Weber is incredible. They last a long time -- my Genesis gas grill is 22 years old, and I can still get replacement parts. They are the most expensive grills at Home Depot and Lowe's, but if you divide the price by 20 (years), they are a bargain.

CD

Craig has the 22 inch Weber for charcoal or wood with the bottom ventilation thingy. This is his third one, bought within the last year or so, over 30+ years. Make sure you get a steel one and not the cheaper aluminum ones. They make a lot of accessories for this grill. He has several, but the rotissere and the charcoal baskets are probably used the most.

He also has a large Big Green Egg. They are quite expensive but last forever. His is around 20 years old I believe. He has a plancha for the Egg and I don't know if he has anything else or not. The Egg can get really hot, like around 500, and handle the temps, which makes for some really great pizza.

He also has a 36 inch Classic Horizon charcoal/wood smoker. I don't know how many pork butts, smoked turkeys, tasso, andouille and other things have been cooked on that thing. We have also BBQ'd a suckling pig on it. It is around the same age as the BGE and is also pretty pricey.

We've learned over the years to buy quality grills/smokers because not only do they make it easier to control the temperature, being made of heavier materials, but when you divide the upfront cost over the longer life, then they come out to be a pretty good bargain.

Craig has the 22 inch Weber for charcoal or wood with the bottom ventilation thingy. This is his third one, bought within the last year or so, over 30+ years. Make sure you get a steel one and not the cheaper aluminum ones. They make a lot of accessories for this grill. He has several, but the rotissere and the charcoal baskets are probably used the most.

He also has a large Big Green Egg. They are quite expensive but last forever. His is around 20 years old I believe. He has a plancha for the Egg and I don't know if he has anything else or not. The Egg can get really hot, like around 500, and handle the temps, which makes for some really great pizza.

He also has a 36 inch Classic Horizon charcoal/wood smoker. I don't know how many pork butts, smoked turkeys, tasso, andouille and other things have been cooked on that thing. We have also BBQ'd a suckling pig on it. It is around the same age as the BGE and is also pretty pricey.

We've learned over the years to buy quality grills/smokers because not only do they make it easier to control the temperature, being made of heavier materials, but when you divide the upfront cost over the longer life, then they come out to be a pretty good bargain.

I have two 22-inch Weber Kettles. I got one for my 34th birthday. I am 61 now. I have a rotisserie kit, too.

I think Puggles is looking for a gas grill??? That's why I mentioned my 22-year-old Weber Genesis.

CD

I have two 22-inch Weber Kettles. I got one for my 34th birthday. I am 61 now. I have a rotisserie kit, too.

I think Puggles is looking for a gas grill??? That's why I mentioned my 22-year-old Weber Genesis.

CD

Craig uses them for pizza as well. Using wood chunks, he can get the temp up really high and that's hard on them. He also used to grill frequently, 2 or 3 times a week. Besides that, I don't think you have the humidity we do.

I guess I'll just not comment anymore.

Craig uses them for pizza as well. Using wood chunks, he can get the temp up really high and that's hard on them. He also used to grill frequently, 2 or 3 times a week. Besides that, I don't think you have the humidity we do.

I guess I'll just not comment anymore.

The humidity here is a lot lower. Steel things do last longer here. North Texas is a good place to buy an old car, if it has been here all its life. Houston is more like where you are. My dad's Weber Genesis was the same age as mine, and sat outside on a covered porch. We sold it when they moved to the senior facility.

CD

Back
Top Bottom