Soda Floats

Jade

Veteran
Local time
1:03 PM
I love putting vanilla ice cream on my sodas to make floats. My favorite, of course, being rootbeer floats, as I do already love rootbeer to begin with anyway, and ice cream just makes it twice as good. However, recently, I've been able to discover new types of sodas to put ice cream in that are equally just as good because some restaurants in my area offer it and I decided to try - particularly, cherry Sprite floats. It's extremely sweet, obviously, but I can't help myself from ordering it after having tasted it once. I still prefer rootbeer floats, but this is a very close second to me now, as I've already tasted vanilla ice cream on orange sodas as well but it just didn't click with me like this one did. How about you guys, which soda floats aside from rootbeer have you tried?

Orange soda floats are the best! My dad is a huge fan of soda floats so growing up, we were always trying new ones. Orange soda floats are my favorite (and my dad's favorite). If you like creamscicles, you will like these. You make them just like you would a rootbeer float. I'm also really partial to Dr. Pepper floats. There's just something about the cherry flavor in the soda that works really well with ice cream.

Okay, cherry Sprite floats sound pretty amazing. I'm a huge fan of cherry Sprite (and obviously ice cream) so this is perfect for me! I bet my brother would be all over this too! I've never thought about using Sprite in a float, but this is a great idea that I will have to try!

Does anyone do anything else to their floats? Do you add anything to really kick them up?

I've never had anything but a rootbeer float (and maybe a Coke float once?), but that cherry sprite float sounds delicious! I'd love to try it. What a throwback to my childhood. It's not exactly a float because nothing is really, uhh, floating in it, but we have something called an eggcream in the northeast US. It's basically chocolate milk and fizzy water in my understanding, but I just adored these things when I was a kid. You have a to go to a real diner to get them.

It's strange I've always hated coke floats but I recently went to a cafe where I tried a raspberry float and it was delicious. Ice cream and raspberry soda go well together. :)

These sound interesting. It's considered more of a desert rather than a drink though, right?

These sound interesting. It's considered more of a desert rather than a drink though, right?
I don't think so. It doesn't really make the soda that much thicker and it's still very drinkable, so I'd say it's still considered mostly as a drink. Also, it's often served alongside burgers and fries as well.

I really like soda floats, but definitely consider them more of a dessert than a drink. My two favorites are a root beer or Coke float. The only downside is that sometimes at the end the ice cream gets a strange consistency to it, almost a little gummy. Has anyone else experienced that? I think my favorite part of floats is how easy they are to make at home. I recently saw a recipe for seltzer and sherbet so I may try that out but am concerned that it could taste a little watered down.

Ginger ale. Vanilla ice cream. Dash of nutmeg.

Root beer. Ice cream of the darkest chocolate available. Glutinous rice mallows (well...I prefer them, anyway, to actual marshmallows--but if you'd like marshmallows, why not? Maybe even slightly toasted...Also, I'd find a way to fit pure molasses in there somewhere.)

Cream soda. Salted caramel ice cream. Dash of crushed Graham crackers.

A shandy or a radler would be likely to work well with lemon (or other fruit) sorbet. Or just make a radler maybe by topping a beer with sorbet.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of root beer floats. That's only because I do not like root beer. So I make orange soda floats or sprite floats. My kids love them. They also do not like root beer. So it works out perfect. The orange soda float is my favorite because it tastes like a cream cycle.

Root beer floats will always be my top favorite soda float but besides that and the usual Coke float, I came to love the Green Apple Sprite float. They had these in a fast food restaurant before and I've loved it ever since! It's basically just Sprite and I guess it was also mixed with green apple flavoring and topped off with creamy vanilla ice cream. I haven't gotten the chance to recreate this at home because I keep forgetting to buy the green apple flavoring but if anyone wants to try it, feel free to do so! It's super delicious!

Back
Top Bottom