Soft Food Help Neded

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
12:26 PM
This is a slightly bizarre thread to post on a food forum but I am hoping you can help. I have recently had all my teeth extracted following a medical problem during pregnancy. I cannot have new teeth until my gums have shrunk and my body has got rid of the unnecessary bone socket. I am really big on eating good food, love cooking, used to be a chef and have four children I try to cook healthy, balanced and tasty meals for. I am managing more food than I thought I would as I presumed I would be restricted to soup. Other meals I have managed to eat are bolognaise, lasagne, chilli con carne, moussaka and vegetable curry. I hope I am giving some impression of the type of thing I can eat at the moment. I am struggling with big chunks of meat and vegetables cooked al dente (which is how I prefer them). I am a very able cook and willing to try new ideas. Has anybody on here got some good suggestions of softer food, not pureed, that I might be able to make and eat?

Ooh, I just made a topic on different sorts of flour dumplings, just because I like flour dumplings, but I imagine they'd be good to eat for people with mouth problems.

Whenever I've got a cold sore or something, I take to Asian street food which is usually seafood-flavored balls of starch that are deep-fried. There's squid-flavored starchy balls, fish-flavored starchy balls, and I think takoyaki is octopus.

Rice porridges and puddings can also be pretty hearty. I get them to the consistency of oatmeal (which might not be all that descriptive, because I generally like my oatmeal pretty thick).

If you can manage lasagne, then maybe a soft tortilla wrap filled with stuff you'd usually put in a taco: beef, coleslaw, and cheese.

There's also noodle soups.

Although these aren't particularly nourishing: gelatine, caramel flan, ice cream.

Ooh, I just made a topic on different sorts of flour dumplings, just because I like flour dumplings, but I imagine they'd be good to eat for people with mouth problems.

Whenever I've got a cold sore or something, I take to Asian street food which is usually seafood-flavored balls of starch that are deep-fried. There's squid-flavored starchy balls, fish-flavored starchy balls, and I think takoyaki is octopus.

Rice porridges and puddings can also be pretty hearty. I get them to the consistency of oatmeal (which might not be all that descriptive, because I generally like my oatmeal pretty thick).

If you can manage lasagne, then maybe a soft tortilla wrap filled with stuff you'd usually put in a taco: beef, coleslaw, and cheese.

There's also noodle soups.

Although these aren't particularly nourishing: gelatine, caramel flan, ice cream.
Thanks Ellyn for your help with this. I like your idea of using soft flour tortillas. I can probably try out a few different fillings in these and I think I would manage them nicely. I like dumplings too and hadn't thought of these. Thanks again.

I was thinking you might be able to do a paella or rice salad.

Falafels are another option for adding to a meal which are soft - softer still if they are warmed first.

If you wanted something like raw carrot, have you considered grating it? We often have grated carrot in mayonnaise with poppy seeds/sesame seeds as a side salad. If you try just grated carrot and want to leave the grated carrot before serving you will need to put some lemon juice over it and mix it in to stop it going brown.

Also potato salad (made with floury potatoes not waxy ones - just cut the potatoes to a sensible size for you) could be an option. I usually add finely chopped onion/spring onions, chopped green pepper, mixed chopped nuts (if you soak nuts first they are easier to digest and will be much softer), seedless red grapes halved or quartered with a plain live yoghurt & crème fraiche/sour cream dressing (though I now use plain soya yoghurt & soya cream due to dairy allergies).

I also have a recipe that uses potatoes & red lentils which would work really well for you if you wanted something more spicy. I'll see if I can dig out the recipe for you later on when today is officially today and not still last night (I can't sleep and it is 3:30am at the moment for me!)

I know the drill on this and its simply a matter of knowing what you like and what is soft enough to gum when you are eating it. Rice, pasta, couscous and even potatoes are good bets and provide you with a ton of possibilities. I was able to eat chicken as long as it was soft and cut up in small enough pieces. Naturally ice cream was a big part of my diet as was yogurt. Power smoothies are good quick ways to get nutrition and energy for yourself.

I'd recommend checking out one of my favorite local dishes which is a rice porridge called Arroz Caldo. It's sort of like a cross between chicken soup and rice porridge and it tastes great in my opinion. Also, you can add pretty much whatever you want on it because it's versatile but the traditional extra ingredients are chicken and a hard boiled egg. I've never personally made this but I trust it isn't too complicated. Hope you feel better soon and good luck!

thumb_600.jpg

I used to live in Turkey, if you like world foods they do some lovely dishes which are simple and easier for you to eat at the moment. A lot of the dishes use soft ingredients like; egg plant, feta, roast pumpkin and kofta (this can be very moist if you ask the butcher to mince with extra fat)

My favs are Menemen and Imam Bayildi, either could be done to suit your needs.

Good luck with your cooking!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/turkish

So sorry. My best friend's fiance had to have all his teeth removed from some sort of medical problem. My best friend made him all his favourites: cornbread, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, pinto beans, homemade banana pudding, peas, applesauce, rice and yogurt.
I hope you heal quickly! Love, hugs, prayers and best wishes to you!

Spaghetti bolognese, as the spaghetti can be choped up, casseroles would be good as well, as they are nutritious and as they are cooked over a long time are very soft. Lots of vegetables steamed or boiled, not roasted, with gravy would also be good.

Soups will be your friend. You can make french onion soup. Cheesy broccoli soup is a good one. Then there is the loaded baked potato soup. Try plain alfredo, spaghetti, tuna salad. Broiled tomatoes are pretty good. I have a recipe where I cook sausage into small pieces, mix it in white beans with tomatoes, onion, garlic, and olive oil. Eat some garlic rice and fish. Fish is usually soft and flaky.

Back
Top Bottom