Solar Eclipse in North America

PXL_20240408_185844248.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20240408_183826675.jpg

We were lucky, a few clouds, but mostly blue skies - easy to view.

As I suspected, though, largely overhyped. Things that reputable people said would happen that I didn’t observe:

1. It would be pitch dark for several minutes (no, it was barely like dusk for about 30 seconds)
2. Birds would roost (no, they didn’t even leave the bird feeders in my yard)
3. The temp would drop 10-20 degrees (um…no)
4. Winds would kick up (again…no)
5. Night bugs would come out (not that I could tell)

…and my personal favorite…

6. We would experience a 360-degree sunset, with sunset colors in every direction (not even close)

We were lucky, a few clouds, but mostly blue skies - easy to view.

As I suspected, though, largely overhyped. Things that reputable people said would happen that I didn’t observe:

1. It would be pitch dark for several minutes (no, it was barely like dusk for about 30 seconds)
2. Birds would roost (no, they didn’t even leave the bird feeders in my yard)
3. The temp would drop 10-20 degrees (um…no)
4. Winds would kick up (again…no)
5. Night bugs would come out (not that I could tell)

…and my personal favorite…

6. We would experience a 360-degree sunset, with sunset colors in every direction (not even close)
Yup.

My wife was not willing to make the 150 mile trip to Indy to watch. We stayed home and saw a partial eclipse. I could see the crescent sun but it was pretty bright. It was nothing like the totality I saw on TV from other areas. It was my first eclipse of any kind though. The TV images were actually more interesting to watch.

My oldest daughter lives and works up in Sandusky Ohio on Lake Erie. Here's a photo of her (far left) and her workmates (her boss is holdingthe sign):
View attachment 112119
She got a really nice photo of the eclipse:
View attachment 112120
Very cool image. It boggles the mind when one considers that those fires visible in the image are more than 90 million miles away.

I travelled to see my brother, who lives within the area that got totality. He’s about 1/2 an hour outside the touristy area that got the biggest crowds, and he’s got a guest room so we were able to arrive Sunday and leave Tuesday (today).

I’ve seen 2 partial solar eclipses before, but this was the first total one I’ve seen and I have to say - it was really, really cool to experience totality. It got dark so quickly, and when the sun was fully covered, the temperature dropped, birds stopped chirping, and it got much darker than I expected - it was so eerie. And then once the moon moved away, it got light so fast again - and this was with a fair amount of cloud cover (we were catching glimpses of the sun in gaps between the clouds).

There won’t be another total eclipse here for over 100 years, so I am glad that I took advantage of my brother’s hospitality and conveniently-located backyard to experience it. It’s a once in a lifetime experience for me.

Back
Top Bottom