Solstices and Equinoxes

Happy Summer Solstice. Summer is here. From here on, the days get shorter, but hotter.

Expect fire season in the northern hemisphere to be horrific and also, expect some huge hurricanes, tropical storm and typhoons. Claudette, one of the first big tropical storms has already killed people in Alabama. It's started early. This is only June, not the typical August through November season for these big storms.

Happy Summer Solstice. Summer is here. From here on, the days get shorter, but hotter.

Expect fire season in the northern hemisphere to be horrific and also, expect some huge hurricanes, tropical storm and typhoons. Claudette, one of the first big tropical storms has already killed people in Alabama. It's started early. This is only June, not the typical August through November season for these big storms.
Our shortest day is a week or two away yet. :)

Russ

We've been lucky the last couple of summers - no particularly severe storms. This year, we've got a jumpstart, but I'm hoping it's not a harbinger of an active storm season.

We've been lucky the last couple of summers - no particularly severe storms. This year, we've got a jumpstart, but I'm hoping it's not a harbinger of an active storm season.

Hey, I lived in Cincinnati (Mack) on April 3, 1974. :eek:

CD

Hey, I lived in Cincinnati (Mack) on April 3, 1974. :eek:

CD
Yeah, I was nearly eight years old, and I remember that clearly. We had tornados all around us, but not directly where we were. We spent the night under the stairwell in our basement.

That's the one that wiped out half of Xenia, killed 30 or 40 people, and made a lot of the town homeless. Xenia is a magnet for tornadoes, and the Native Americans had some name for it, about how the place was always surrounded by wild winds.

We now live 14 miles south of Xenia. We've had three tornados touch down in our neighborhood since 2004, but all F0-F1 in strength.

We also had the pleasure of being caught up in this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Comfrey–St._Peter_tornado_outbreak

And I got caught up in an F4 in Walnut Grove, MN, while performing. I earned a lot of respect because our set was cut short, so the promoter tried to negotiate a lower fee on the spot, with the tornado bearing down, and I refused to budge. :laugh:

Yeah, I was nearly eight years old, and I remember that clearly. We had tornados all around us, but not directly where we were. We spent the night under the stairwell in our basement.

That's the one that wiped out half of Xenia, killed 30 or 40 people, and made a lot of the town homeless. Xenia is a magnet for tornadoes, and the Native Americans had some name for it, about how the place was always surrounded by wild winds.

We now live 14 miles south of Xenia. We've had three tornados touch down in our neighborhood since 2004, but all F0-F1 in strength.

We also had the pleasure of being caught up in this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Comfrey–St._Peter_tornado_outbreak

And I got caught up in an F4 in Walnut Grove, MN, while performing. I earned a lot of respect because our set was cut short, so the promoter tried to negotiate a lower fee on the spot, with the tornado bearing down, and I refused to budge. :laugh:

The Xenia tornado was bad. The F5 tornado that hit Mack was the Saylor Park tornado. Our house had mostly cosmetic damage, but a couple bocks away, entire houses were completely gone.

As for cooking, w used the fireplace for cooking for almost a week, until new power poles and lines were erected.

CD

Solstices happen all over the planet at the same day and time. Just don't say anything to your wife. You've been married long enough to know that. :wink:

CD

I've been to Stonehenge and have read about it but we don't match the dates, I don't know why but we are later, may?? ( not the month) Have something to do with daylight savings here which we do change hours around.
And 44 years ? I think coming up, and I remember the month (sept) but date? My daughter always text me to remind me. YOU don't want to forget that date,lol.

Russ

I started this thread with the Winter Solstice 2020. That was just short of a year ago. Winter Solstice 2021 is on Tuesday, December 21st, 2021.

As last year, - happy winter solstice. How have things changed in a year?

As last year, - happy winter solstice. How have things changed in a year?
Some good, some bad - on the good side, we've got our first European holiday booked for next year (hopefully, that doesn't fall through); on the bad side, my dad's health has deteriorated markedly from last year, with a broken hip and rapidly advancing dementia, which is taking a toll on all of us, especially my mom and my oldest brother.

Good side - got a new manager that I like quite a bit; bad side, the dog died, but not that bad, as she was 19 and needed to go...so more like a sad thing, not a bad thing.

Good side, we're ready to buy a new car (something we do about every 15 years); bad side...where are all the 🤬 cars?! :laugh:

Today's the day, - the Winter solstice. In the northern hemisphere, the days start getting longer and in the southern hemisphere, shorter.

Today's the day, - the Winter solstice. In the northern hemisphere, the days start getting longer and in the southern hemisphere, shorter.

Yes! I'm so looking forward to the days getting longer.

Happy Winter solstice to all our members in the Northern hemisphere. :okay:

Happy Summer solstice to all our members in the Southern hemisphere. :okay:

Yes! I'm so looking forward to the days getting longer.

Happy Winter solstice to all our members in the Northern hemisphere. :okay:

Happy Summer solstice to all our members in the Southern hemisphere. :okay:

You and me, both! We're dipping down to the 40s overnight here and my electric bill will be going up, just heating my bedroom at night with a space heater. I checked the weather recently and saw a dip into the 30s too. January and February are typically the coldest months of the year due to the jet stream starting to wobble and dragging down Arctic air masses.

Back
Top Bottom