Sommerfest!

Good price! I think a 16oz Budweiser at Cowboys game is 15 bucks.

I have also found that being a generous tipper is somewhat an "investment."

It feels so weird when I go to some countries where tipping is not expected.

CD
When we first moved to the UK, we'd been there maybe a month or so, and had eaten out several times locally, so we'd quickly gotten used to the modest tipping.

We made our first weekend trip to London and were sat at the bar drinking, went to settle up, and my wife started doing the 20% thing in her head, then said something like, "Oh, yeah, I can just round up the bill for the tip."

The bartender happened to be a young American woman, and she looked at my wife and said matter-of-factly, "I'm an American, I'm used to more than that." :laugh:

Good price! I think a 16oz Budweiser at Cowboys game is 15 bucks.

I have also found that being a generous tipper is somewhat an "investment."

It feels so weird when I go to some countries where tipping is not expected.

CD

I found tipping a great experience in Hawaii and Vancouver, I worked on 10% ay the time. We don't tip here, although we have tip jars as well. I tip a good waitress for good service. I'll leave it under a plate so they don't have to share with other staff.

Russ

When I was doing research for my trip to Iran, I found several travelers on online blogs and forums advising others not to tip. Tipping is not a practice in Iran and if everyone starts tipping, they will start expecting to be tipped.

I found tipping a great experience in Hawaii and Vancouver, I worked on 10% ay the time. We don't tip here, although we have tip jars as well. I tip a good waitress for good service. I'll leave it under a plate so they don't have to share with other staff.

Russ

For future trips to the US, 10-percent is a small tip. 15-percent is customary, and 20-percent is generous. I'm not just picking on you, but putting this out to anyone from countries where tipping is not customary.

Also, some restaurants pool their tips and divide them, so that the people who clean the tables get a little taste, too. At other restaurants, each server keeps their own tips. Bartenders often combine and share, because more than one bartender will often serve any particular customer. Every establishment has its own policies.

CD

BTW, the minimum wage for most jobs in the US is $7.50 per hour, which is not enough to live on. President Biden wants to raise it to $15.00 per hour, while Conservatives want to abolish the minimum wage, and let the "free market" decide wages.

For waitstaff, who receive tips, the minimum wage is ... $2.50 per hour. :eek: So, bartenders, waiters and waitresses live off of their tips.

CD

For future trips to the US, 10-percent is a small tip. 15-percent is customary, and 20-percent is generous. I'm not just picking on you, but putting this out to anyone from countries where tipping is not customary.

Also, some restaurants pool their tips and divide them, so that the people who clean the tables get a little taste, too. At other restaurants, each server keeps their own tips. Bartenders often combine and share, because more than one bartender will often serve any particular customer. Every establishment has its own policies.

CD

It was about 20 years ago and I think it was 10% at the time. ? So it's gone up to 20? Wow, wait staff here are quite often students on minimum pay, it was $15 hr but min now is $ 22 I think? One fave joint we went to years ago a young Asian girl Amy was very good at looking after us. I always left her a 20. We see her even now out and about at times, we always greet each other. The joint closed down after the quakes. Shame because we really loved it there.

Russ

It was about 20 years ago and I think it was 10% at the time. ? So it's gone up to 20? Wow, wait staff here are quite often students on minimum pay, it was $15 hr but min now is $ 22 I think?

See my last post. If our wait staff made $22.00 per hour, they wouldn't need tips, either.

Cd

See my last post. If our wait staff made $22.00 per hour, they wouldn't need tips, either.

Cd
Just read it, I couldn't be involved with the public as wait staff. They really are good at what they do. I'm a generous person by nature, whereas my wife is quite frugal. In fact very frugal. Lol.

Russ

Just read it, I couldn't be involved with the public as wait staff. They really are good at what they do. I'm a generous person by nature, whereas my wife is quite frugal. In fact very frugal. Lol.

Russ
Some international visitors to the US complain about our waitstaff as being overly cheerful and overly attentive, and it's because waitstaff here are trained that they better kiss your azz and call it candy if they expect a tip.

The flip side is true for Americans - number 1 complaint my wife gets from clients who go to UK/Europe ..."The waitstaff were so rude!" - they're making a living wage, so they don't have to act like they worship you in the hopes of getting a tip.

Some international visitors to the US complain about our waitstaff as being overly cheerful and overly attentive, and it's because waitstaff here are trained that they better kiss your azz and call it candy if they expect a tip.

The inverse of that is, if you go to a particular restaurant regularly, and you are a good tipper, the waitstaff knows who you are, and you get special treatment. As you mentioned earlier, you gave a generous tip for your beer, and got a free refill on your wife's beer later.

CD

Back
Top Bottom