Songkhran - Traditional Thai New Year.

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
4:07 AM
Tomorrow is the first day of Songkhran here which is traditionally the New Year in Thailand (although they also celebrate ours).

It will be mayhem on the roads until Saturday. Twenty years ago it was fun but I'm getting a bit long in the tooth now so I stay indoors or at least inside the gate.

I did record some of the antics a few years ago.

Songkhran Entry

sawasdeepeemai-e.jpg

Last edited:
Tomorrow is the first day of Songkhran here which is traditionally the New Year in Thailand (although they also celebrate ours).

It will be mayhem on the roads until Saturday. Twenty years ago it was fun but I'm getting a bit long in the tooth now so I stay indoors or at least inside the gate.

I did record some of the antics a few years ago.

Songkhran Entry

I want to know: what's the maximum amount of people you can fit into the bed of a small pickup truck? :laugh:

Looks like everyone was having a good time!

Happy New Year.

The first time we went to Thailand we arrived at new year. We landed at dusk in Samui and got to the hotel after dark. Once we had showered and got to the bar the celebrations were well under way, fireworks and lanterns going off along the beach and everyone in an extra good mood. I had my first ever som tam and the Singha was ice cold. It was one of the best nights of my life, unfortunately we were too travel tired to stay up to midnight to watch the local tradition of a mass run along the beach.

I want to know: what's the maximum amount of people you can fit into the bed of a small pickup truck? :laugh:

Looks like everyone was having a good time!

My first Songkhran here I rented a pick-up (without driver unfortunately). We started in the village with 4 in the front and 6 in the back. We had to drive through a few other villages to reach town and by the time we had, there was another 8 in the back. Luckily most Thais are small and light so the front wheels of the pick-up were touching the road at times.

Luckily most Thais are small and light so the front wheels of the pick-up were touching the road at times.
In the US that truck would be dragging ass, literally. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom