Retro Recipe Sopa de Avellanas (Hazlenut Soup)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:32 AM
This recipe is from Flavours of Spain: A gastronomic journey by Jan Read & Maite Manjón (1978). The book is partly a travelogue and partly a history of gastronomy in Spain (Jan Read was an historian). The book is packed full of detailed facts about the various regions of Spain and their food & wine with recipes from each region. The book is illustrated with black and white historical prints and vintage black and white photographs although the recipes themselves aren't illustrated.

This recipe is from the Asturian region of Spain. Its a very comforting soup but has a certain elegance about it due to the use of Saffron. I found the soup to be far too thick when made according to the ingredients given, so I added some additional stock to get it to a thick but pourable consistency. Its a lovely 'easy to make' Autumnal soup.

fullsizeoutput_50ad.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
½ pint (300 ml) chicken stock (I used more)
2 oz (60g) toasted breadcrumbs
1 small packet of saffron
1 clove of garlic
2 oz (60g) hazelnuts
Salt & pepper

Method
  1. Warm stock in a saucepan and stir in the breadcrumbs to make a smooth cream.
  2. Grind saffron, garlic and nuts and add the paste to the broth.
  3. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
fullsizeoutput_50b0.jpeg

This recipe is from Flavours of Spain: A gastronomic journey by Jan Read & Maite Manjón (1978). The book is partly a travelogue and partly a history of gastronomy in Spain (Jan Read was an historian). The book is packed full of detailed facts about the various regions of Spain and their food & wine with recipes from each region. The book is illustrated with black and white historical prints and vintage black and white photographs although the recipes themselves aren't illustrated.

This recipe is from the Asturian region of Spain. Its a very comforting soup but has a certain elegance about it due to the use of Saffron. I found the soup to be far too thick when made according to the ingredients given, so I added some additional stock to get it to a thick but pourable consistency. Its a lovely 'easy to make' Autumnal soup.

View attachment 31433

Ingredients (serves 2)
½ pint (300 ml) chicken stock (I used more)
2 oz (60g) toasted breadcrumbs
1 small packet of saffron
1 clove of garlic
2 oz (60g) hazelnuts
Salt & pepper

Method
  1. Warm stock in a saucepan and stir in the breadcrumbs to make a smooth cream.
  2. Grind saffron, garlic and nuts and add the paste to the broth.
  3. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
View attachment 31434

Not a big fan of soup but I'd eat that with a nice piece of bread.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom