Sourdough Starter: Day 04 onwards

Sourdough Starter: Day 04
Its been very active yesterday and overnight. So it's pretty much a case of replenishing it every day now until it's established. I like to give mine as long as I can really to get established but most literature I've read suggests a minimum of 10 days to 2 weeks before it's established. That means ready to be used and at full flavour, full of life and also ready to be put to sleep. Don't worry, that doesn't mean what you think it could, it just means it's safe to replenish it one last time and put it straight into a fridge. I've done this for somewhere between 15 and 18 months without touching it, then bringing it out and feeding it (just mix the liquid in) not replenishing it. Just add tho it for a few days until it's really bubbly and happy again, then replenish it. Once you've replenished it once or twice, it's ready to use. If it's only been in the fridge for a month or two, you'll be able to use it sooner. BTW, I've read, but can't confirm, that you can also freeze it, defrost and feed, (not replenish) and it will also come back to life if treated properly.

Ingredients
50g flour (always assume organic and 50:50 mix wholemeal: rye)
50g spring/mineral water

Equipment
1 or 2 sterile teaspoon(s)
1 sterile new jar (optional but it makes life much easier)
Scales

Method
  • You need to remove all but 1 teaspoon of starter and add it to the flour and water mix. So if you've got 2 of these kilner jars, life is easier. Simply weigh out the 50g of flour and 50g of spring or mineral water into the new sterile jar. Don't worry about mixing it in, you'll do that in a minute. Also don't fret over 49g of flour or 51g of water. It's a roughly thing. If you've gone over massively on water, just add more flour to get back to roughly the same consistency. Roughly 1:1 is all that matters (other than it fitting into the jar and not bubbling over onto whatever it's standing on).
  • Now transfer just 1 teaspoonful of starter from the old container into the new one using a clean sterile teaspoon. Mix well and return to wherever you were keeping it warm.
Done.

View attachment 30245
As you can see, it's as happy as anything.

So this is just repeated daily or every other day (if not all food is being consumed) until 2 weeks are up. However, there's nothing stopping you trying to make a loaf from what you want to...

View attachment 30246 View attachment 30247
View attachment 30248
View attachment 30249

I'll cut into it later, but my gut feeling is that the starter needs much longer to mature.
Nice!
I'll be making my own sourdough starter in the next couple of weeks I'll give this a read.

Hope you join in the threads with photos! There are Day 01, Day 02 & Day 03 threads as well. I'll post links to them later.
Nice!
I'll be making my own sourdough starter in the next couple of weeks I'll give this a read.
They all have the same tag 'sourdough starter', so just scroll back up to the top and click on the tag. In the list you'll find the set of 4 plus 4 or 5 other threads regarding sourdough starters.

Screenshot_20190821-021921_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20190821-021857_Opera.jpg

Back
Top Bottom