Sourdough Starter: Day 04 onwards

You don't have a sourdough pet...yet. :)

It takes far more time to write about and discuss sourdough than it does to look after it/bake with it! I spent less than 3 minutes 'feeding' it this morning. Nothing done to it since.

Just teasing ya mg, I used to make ginger beer as a kid, I had to feed that ginger bug every day, 1 teaspoon ginger, 2 of sugar, from memory.

Russ

Just teasing ya mg, I used to make ginger beer as a kid, I had to feed that ginger bug every day, 1 teaspoon ginger, 2 of sugar, from memory.

Russ

Yeah, I knew you were teasing. Its certainly a bug. I'm now addicted and have started a second one with white flour and rye. It didn't occur to me that ginger beer was fermented. Was it alcoholic?

Yeah, I knew you were teasing. Its certainly a bug. I'm now addicted and have started a second one with white flour and rye. It didn't occur to me that ginger beer was fermented. Was it alcoholic?

No, but it was very fizzy, and was very nice. Except the last 50ml, very cloudy !!

Russ

Here is the bread I made it which is pretty much inedible as its so sour! But as it as made with ferment which would have been discarded it isn't too much of a waste. As you may be able to see it was also a bit 'soggy' inside. Maybe I didn't cook it long enough.

20190815_180301.jpg

Anyway - the original ferment has perked up and is behaving itself and the new ferment is also fizzing. The original ferment smells much nicer now than a few days ago. This was yesterday morning before feeding.

20190815_164600.jpg

They do take a while to establish themselves...
One problem with using all that discard is that you'll have escalated yourself through the yeast growth period and instead of starting at the very bottom of a growth graph, you'll have started part way through. Thus you'll have run out of food much faster and as I understand things, the sour smell flavour and so on occurs when you 'run dry. So you'll have hit this point and been there way too long I think. Effectively overproving the loaf without the loss of height. Also the ferment as you probably will have noticed, gets thinner and thinner add it gets sourer and sourer, hence the wet loaf you mentioned. I'll try again with an explanation, if that doesn't make sense, in the morning.

Help!

My second starter (white flour & rye) on day 3, is overflowing the jar, I 'burped' it twice but it still did it. I removed a bit of the starter (not much) so it will hopefully be OK overnight.

It smells so much better than the other one did at this stage and is very bubbly and more liquid. I tasted it and its lovely. Not too acidic.

Please advise on what to do in the morning?

Help!

My second starter (white flour & rye) on day 3, is overflowing the jar, I 'burped' it twice but it still did it. I removed a bit of the starter (not much) so it will hopefully be OK overnight.

It smells so much better than the other one did at this stage and is very bubbly and more liquid. I tasted it and its lovely. Not too acidic.

Please advise on what to do in the morning?
Same as before, day 4. Start afresh and add the smallest teaspoon amount to it. Don't be generous. This is why 2 containers are useful. You can wash and dry one whilst the other use in use.

Same as before, day 4. Start afresh and add the smallest teaspoon amount to it. Don't be generous. This is why 2 containers are useful. You can wash and dry one whilst the other use in use.

I'm thinking I should discard my first starter - its smelling better but tasting very sour still. Its in the only other container.

I'm thinking I should discard my first starter - its smelling better but tasting very sour still. Its in the only other container.
That's up to you but all you need do is use less and don't let it run out of food as often. In some countries in summer it can be necessary to feed your pet twice a day. Have you a suitable container you can put a tbsp of it into and freeze? Old medication bottle (can be 100% plastic,) just sterilize with boiling water first and freeze some as a precaution.

That's up to you but all you need do is use less and don't let it run out of food as often. In some countries in summer it can be necessary to feed your pet twice a day. Have you a suitable container you can put a tbsp of it into and freeze? Old medication bottle (can be 100% plastic,) just sterilize with boiling water first and freeze some as a precaution.

Yeah - I can manage something. Why so little existing starter to be put into the new mix?

Yeah - I can manage something. Why so little existing starter to be put into the new mix?
That's what you need to be doing from now. Less than a tsp into 50g flour, 50g water.
You don't need much to keep a home supply going. No need for liters of the stuff. Yeast grows at an amazing rate when warm and fed. So just one tsp into new feed as I gave in post 1

Ingredients
50g flour (always assume organic and 50:50 mix wholemeal: rye)
50g spring/mineral water

Equipment
1 or 2 sterile teaspoon(s)
1 sterile new jar (optional but it makes life much easier)
Scales

Method
  • <...cut>
  • Now transfer just 1 teaspoonful of starter from the old container into the new one using a clean sterile teaspoon. Mix well and return to wherever you were keeping it warm

I made a loaf from Flo's discarded bits. Flo is the one that overflowed. Its tastes fantastic! Where did I post the photos of her overflowing? :scratchhead:I mean, I posted it and asked you what to do... and you said treat as for Day 4 (I think she was only 3 days old at the time). She is flat lining today (Day 5) so I am doing nothing. Just waiting.

Anyway - the taste is great. The texture is OK, but close. What is it that forms those wonderful air pockets one sees in sourdough?

fullsizeoutput_4fcf.jpeg

What is it that forms those wonderful air pockets one sees in sourdough?
my understanding is that it is the sourdough proofing that creates them. Can you see that the texture of your loaf is more bread than sourdough? I think that the culture hasn't had long enough to do its work. the texture is not that sourdough texture, not that 'rubbery' style that it goes when it is days old. I think it is all to do with the flour and proofing. practice and timing are the key....
I have a good link somewhere, I'll have to rummage, but try more kneading … it still needs a good knead. and then cold proofing in the fridge for +24hrs.

Back
Top Bottom