Sourdough Starters

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:24 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm on holiday at the moment UK in the highlands of Scotland. Somewhere remote, beautiful and with exceptionally clean air and peat stained water. A place where lichens hang off every tree and colour the place a grey green, somewhere that I am tempted to get out again on my trike and enjoy the fresh air.

So whilst I was here, I thought that I would start a new sourdough starter up to see what if any difference there would be between it and the one I started back in April at home. The April one took 3 weeks to get established and isn't that active really. It doesn't taste out smell bad, it just isn't that active without the application of heat...
This new one took less than 24 hours to show bubbles in the flour/water mixture. The very same mixture I feed the home starter with. It needed refreshing (feeding) within the first 3 days and is so active that within 6 days I have been able to use it to make 2 loaves of rye, wholemeal flour, honey and sunflower seed sourdough bread with. It is also a completely different taste to the home starter. Both starters have the same flour mix and are both on the same tap water (it's a private water supply here that is not chlorinated only filtered).
I rather like the new one and its going to be interesting to see how it adapts to being at my home! I just can't get over the difference between the 2. I hadn't expected it to be so obvious.

Back
Top Bottom