Sourdough

My pizza dough is typically 500g strong flour with 300ml water and approx. 3 teaspoons of instant yeast. When it comes to making my next pizza dough, how much of the starter do I need to add?

My pizza dough is typically 500g strong flour with 300ml water and approx. 3 teaspoons of instant yeast. When it comes to making my next pizza dough, how much of the starter do I need to add?
I'll have to look it up in my notes. I can't remember off the top of my head. Though typically you don't add much starter to tbe floor mix because you want it to take plenty of time to proof to develop the flavour. I know when I was back in the UK, I'd set the starter going 1 day, make the loaf and set to proof in the fridge the next and cook it either on the 3rd or 4th day depending on how cold my fridge was. You can also use it similar to yeast and quick proof but you don't get as much flavour that way.

If I added 100g of flour with 50 ml water every day, getting me to 500g over the week, could I use the whole lot for my pizza? Would that work?

If I added 100g of flour with 50 ml water every day, getting me to 500g over the week, could I use the whole lot for my pizza? Would that work?
It doesn't work that easy. Edit: Sorry that should say 'way'.

Normally you have your sourdough mother or starter. You keep the going feeding every or every other day, putting it in the fridge to go on holiday etc..

When you want to make something, you take out the starter as normal and refresh it. With the stuff you don't use, most of it, you set going another starter going with say 250g flour mix and 250g (aka 250ml) with warm spring water and some of the starter. You let this 'grow' before mixing it with more flour mix (about 500g) and a touch of water add needed or if needed. You then prove this final product in the shape you want.

I have a thread on how I've made sourdough in the past. I'll add it here in a minute.

Edit: read this to the end, life will become clearer.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/sourdough-starter.4397/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom