Sous vide beef confusion

Roger Burton

Local time
10:01 AM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
Hi chaps, forgive what may be a silly question, I bought a couple of "beef leg" steaks, they were cheap so I'm guessing they are "tough" looking at the temp/time chart (excellent by the way - this is not a moan) the times range from 1 - 24 hours ... anyone any experience with this cut please ?

I don't know that specific cut, and didn't get much help online. But, I would assume it is from the beef leg, and is going to be full of flavor, but well used muscles that can be pretty tough.

I did remember this YouTube video from a couple of guys who have a full animal butcher shop in NYC, and they break one down, and talk about each cut. I believe they cook each cut at the end of the video, too.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijw7NpizQ8Q

CD

Good luck to you.

I have only cooked one tough cut of meat sous vide -- a chuck roast. I found a wide variety of cooking times online. My go-to reference is ChefSteps, as it seem yours is, too. Their times and temps seem to work out well most of the time.

My chuck roast was a bit tough and dryer than I had hoped. But, sliced really thin, it made really excellent roast beef sandwiches.

If you want to know about meat, you should subscribe to that YouTube channel. Those two guys are very good at explaining all the cuts of meat, from many common animals, and how they should be cooked for best results.

CD

Good luck to you.

I have only cooked one tough cut of meat sous vide -- a chuck roast. I found a wide variety of cooking times online. My go-to reference is ChefSteps, as it seem yours is, too. Their times and temps seem to work out well most of the time.

My chuck roast was a bit tough and dryer than I had hoped. But, sliced really thin, it made really excellent roast beef sandwiches.

If you want to know about meat, you should subscribe to that YouTube channel. Those two guys are very good at explaining all the cuts of meat, from many common animals, and how they should be cooked for best results.

CD

I'll go look at it and probably subscribe.

I made reasonably decent bottom round steaks (a tough cut) using 22.5 hours at 143 degrees F / 61.5 C. I let some of it go longer (I wasn't going to eat it all at once, anyway) out to 42 hours, and there was no improvement in tenderness, and there might have been some textural degradation). I'd cut the round roast into 1.5 inch thick steaks (about 3.75 cm).

Your photo seems to be something of a shank region. Which I've yet to try sous vide.

That looks like shin of beef - its full of flavour and its my favourite cut for stewing (makes a fabulous slow cooked beef rendang). Its not that easy to get hold of around here so when I manage to get hold of some I always slow cook it. I'd be interested to know how it turns out because I've never considered sous-viding it.

Thanks Mrs. Shin was the word I was looking for! It would indeed be interesting to know more about this cut of beef - I have done it in the slow cooker but haven't seen it around since I got my sous vide.

That looks like shin of beef - its full of flavour and its my favourite cut for stewing (makes a fabulous slow cooked beef rendang). Its not that easy to get hold of around here so when I manage to get hold of some I always slow cook it. I'd be interested to know how it turns out because I've never considered sous-viding it.

Thanks Mrs. Shin was the word I was looking for! It would indeed be interesting to know more about this cut of beef - I have done it in the slow cooker but haven't seen it around since I got my sous vide.

Isn't that where the shank comes from? That is what I use to make Veggie beef & barley soup. :wink:

I'll go look at it and probably subscribe.

I made reasonably decent bottom round steaks (a tough cut) using 22.5 hours at 143 degrees F / 61.5 C. I let some of it go longer (I wasn't going to eat it all at once, anyway) out to 42 hours, and there was no improvement in tenderness, and there might have been some textural degradation). I'd cut the round roast into 1.5 inch thick steaks (about 3.75 cm).

Your photo seems to be something of a shank region. Which I've yet to try sous vide.

I've encountered the same thing if I push a sous vide time too far. It starts to get a bit mushy. Sous vide is forgiving, but there are limits to how far you can push cooking times.

CD

Back
Top Bottom