Sous Vide Machine

It works very well but obviously takes up a lot more space than a wand. Its a domestic sized bath but nevertheless its too big to fit in my tiny kitchen as a fixture. I keep it in the cellar in between uses. This may be why I don't use it enough! I can't compare it to the wand system, but I imagine its easier to keep it temperature. You simply set the required temperature, wait for it to reach that, put in the food and the timing and then forget about it until it pings.
It sounds like it has the same set up as a wand, does the temperature fluctuate mush on the bath? I've noticed with mine that it will by like two degrees. I also have the cheapest one Anova makes so that may be the problem.

It sounds like it has the same set up as a wand, does the temperature fluctuate mush on the bath? I've noticed with mine that it will by like two degrees. I also have the cheapest one Anova makes so that may be the problem.

I haven't noticed it fluctuate. It doesn't work like the wand - there is no wand! Its a tank which has heating elements built in. Its this one. At the time it cost £120.

Some of the containers are almost as expensive as the machines themselves! But at home, just about any container or pot can be used. I thought about getting the immersion type mainly for steaks. :whistling:

Look into it! I really enjoy mine. I use to have the one that the Chef Steps team created Joule. Its kind of pricey compared to the Anova one I have

The only problem I have with the Joule is that you MUST control it with a smartphone app. The Anova can be set manually on the wand itself.

CD

Some of the containers are almost as expensive as the machines themselves! But at home, just about any container or pot can be used. I thought about getting the immersion type mainly for steaks. :whistling:

That is the biggest advantage to a wand. You have flexibility in the size of your bath container.

CD

I haven't been using my Anova wand Craig got me a couple of years ago for Christmas very much, but I decided to give a beef roast a go. I set the temp at 131 F and am cooking it for 18 hours. Tied up the roast, S and P, then yellow mustard rub, seared it. Then made a liquid of red wine, beef stock, thyme and garlic. I tripled the liquid recipe to use 1/3 for some potatoes and carrots in the oven. Another third will be added to the liquid that is in the bag with the roast once it's cooked. It's supposed to get seared again after cooking and then the liquid reduced to make a pan sauce/jus. It's an eye of round roast. Fingers crossed.

Open face sammies are on the menu using leftovers.

I hope it works out great! I seldom do roasts sous vide, except for pork tenderloin -- sous vide is perfect for that lean cut of pork. It comes out tender and juicy every time, with just a touch of pink in the meat.

I'm pretty sure I did a beef chuck roast once. It was a long time ago, and don't remember much about it. I think it was cooked for 12 hours in the water bath.

I love my Anova setup, but my go-to method for beef roasts is braising.

I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

CD

There are several members who cook sous vide here. I have an Anova circulator, too. If you watch the "What did you cook of eat today" thread, you will see some sous vide foods pop up from time to time. I posted a prime NY Strip just last week.

View attachment 48329
View attachment 48330

CD

Looks good sitting next to you KA mixer!!:whistling:

rascal: Here's my setup. The sous vide circulator clips onto the side of a large cook pot. The thing you want to cook is vacuum sealed and placed in the water.

The second picture shows what it looks like in action...yes, those are ping-pong balls. I place these on top of the water, since the food tends to float to the top of the water, and thus not cook evenly.

The third picture is what the brisket looked like after I put it on the grill to blacken the exterior.

img_0929-jpg.jpg

img_0931-jpg.jpg

img_0934-jpg.jpg

rascal: Here's my setup. The sous vide circulator clips onto the side of a large cook pot. The thing you want to cook is vacuum sealed and placed in the water.

The second picture shows what it looks like in action...yes, those are ping-pong balls. I place these on top of the water, since the food tends to float to the top of the water, and thus not cook evenly.

The third picture is what the brisket looked like after I put it on the grill to blacken the exterior.

View attachment 58742
View attachment 58743
View attachment 58744

Great pics and change of colour, thanks.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom