Sous vide wand cooker

I found a reddit forum on sous vide...and saw a guy cooking his lunch in a igloo cooler under his desk, lol

Then i followed links down a rabbit hole to a guy cooking a fried egg on a 4 inch cast iron skillet on a mug warmer...and here i thought my potato soup on a kiln lid was unusual. Now i want to try Cooking on a mug warmer...will have to watch the thrifts for one...i have a tiny stainless revereware pot that would fit.

The manuals that come with some of these units suggest that after cooking steak or chops in the sealed vaccum bag, that you STILL have to remove the meat from the bag & sear it in a pan or in the oven.

What sense does it make doing that?!! That only increases the cooking time!! To me,it is better to just cook the meat after tenderizing & marinating it, which I've done. Tastes just as good!! :wink:

What sense does it make doing that?!! That only increases the cooking time!! To me,it is better to just cook the meat after tenderizing & marinating it, which I've done. Tastes just as good!! :wink:

The benefits are limited if you are just cooking a good quality steak. Otherwise:

The real benefits are for cooking tougher meats (shin, skirt, shoulder etc.), that will become tender with low and slow cooking as the connective tissues break down.

You can cook batches of food then chill (or even freeze) it still in the bags. It can then be seared/warmed much more quickly.

You can cook things confit with far less fat than doing it conventionally - duck legs, for instance. I do batches of these and freeze them. After defrosting they only take 10 - 15 mins in a hot oven as they are already cooked.

I can't believe how tender cooking an octopus via sous vide made it. Being able to cut it easily with a dinner fork? Nearly unbelievable. I have been toying with the idea of getting one but that result makes me even more inclined.

I can't believe how tender cooking an octopus via sous vide made it. Being able to cut it easily with a dinner fork? Nearly unbelievable. I have been toying with the idea of getting one but that result makes me even more inclined.

I cant stand even the SMELL of that!! Smells like stinking feet!!!! :eek::headshake:

I think you can get octopus tender with long slow cooking in a conventional way. I cooked it once (well, I didn't but the person I lived with cooked it) that way and it was tender - but I'm sure sous vide gets even better results. I don't regret getting my sous vide - its water bath kind not wand (domestic size).But I haven't yet fully explored its potential.

This reminds to make and post a slow cooked squid recipe I do.

Last edited:
I used to have to boil that in a small steam jacketed kettle when I worked for a catering Co.

Back
Top Bottom