Spice Blends: Make your own or Buy?

cookieee

Local time
8:29 AM
On another site I visit, they always mention commercial blends they buy. I prefer to make my own blends. How about you?

On another site I visit, they always mention commercial blends they buy. I prefer to make my own blends. How about you?

Absolutely - almost 100% make my own blends. You have so much more control over the flavours. Having said this....

.... I'm being driven insane by some garam masala I bought on a whim. It is simply fantastic and eclipses any garam masala I have had before or can make myself. I've made two attempts at replicating it using all the ingredients listed. Both times the garam masala was very good - but the bought one was better. There is a really perfumed taste in it which I think is the cinnamon - but despite roasting and grinding top grade cinnamon sticks I can't get close to it. Grrr...

Absolutely - almost 100% make my own blends. You have so much more control over the flavours. Having said this....

.... I'm being driven insane by some garam masala I bought on a whim. It is simply fantastic and eclipses any garam masala I have had before or can make myself. I've made two attempts at replicating it using all the ingredients listed. Both times the garam masala was very good - but the bought one was better. There is a really perfumed taste in it which I think is the cinnamon - but despite roasting and grinding top grade cinnamon sticks I can't get close to it. Grrr...
What ingredients do they list on the label? I have a lot of recipes on making your own garam masala, maybe I can come close to what you want.

What ingredients do they list on the label? I have a lot of recipes on making your own garam masala, maybe I can come close to what you want.

I used all the ingredients on the label and the labelling laws here mean that there isn't anything left out (no secret ingredient). So, not much point in trying different recipes which include other spices. I'll look up the ingredients and post them in a bit... so you can see. Its the usual suspects. Nothing startling.

This is the one:

48-54-0-600-wide.jpg

Ingredients:
Coriander seeds
Dill seeds
Cinnamon
Ginger
Black pepper
Chilli
Cardamom
Nutmeg
Bay leaves

Last edited:
I used all the ingredients on the label and the labelling laws here mean that there isn't anything left out (no secret ingredient). So, not much point in trying different recipes which include other spices. I'll look up the ingredients and post them in a bit... so you can see. Its the usual suspects. Nothing startling.
MG, in your country, do the ingredients have to be listed largest amount first and so on?

Glad to know that. Do you have a favorite?
Cinnamon and sugar! :D

Seriously, the one I use the most is probably a seasoning for fajitas, but I use it for a lot of other stuff.

Also, a blend for poultry seasoning, and a fruit pie spice blend.

MG, in your country, do the ingredients have to be listed largest amount first and so on?

Don't think so - I would have to check. But these ingredients as listed on the label are not alphabetical so may be its largest first.

Just checked:

If a food or drink product has 2 or more ingredients (including any additives), it must list them all. Ingredients must be listed in order of weight, with the main ingredient first.

Is that how you have made yours? If not, maybe your's will come out tasting the way you like it now.

Is that how you have made yours? If not, maybe your's will come out tasting the way you like it now.

I did - but of course the weights of the spices are not given so I guessed. I did put quite a lot of cinnamon in the second time but it still doesn't have the intoxicating aroma. I will write to Sita (who is a real person!). I don't expect her to tell me - but nothing lost.

Even though some of the chefs offer commercial blends, I have their cookbooks and like to make my own! I love Emeril's Worcestershire recipe!

Back
Top Bottom