Spice Blends: Make your own or Buy?

Even though some of the chefs offer commercial blends, I have their cookbooks and like to make my own! I love Emeril's Worcestershire recipe!
Hi Craig, good for you. I'll have to check and see if I have his W. sauce. Thanks for the heads up.

I always make my own. I have a few payed on here. A really good Moroccan blend that i almost always keep on hand.

Absolutely - almost 100% make my own blends. You have so much more control over the flavours. Having said this....

.... I'm being driven insane by some garam masala I bought on a whim. It is simply fantastic and eclipses any garam masala I have had before or can make myself. I've made two attempts at replicating it using all the ingredients listed. Both times the garam masala was very good - but the bought one was better. There is a really perfumed taste in it which I think is the cinnamon - but despite roasting and grinding top grade cinnamon sticks I can't get close to it. Grrr...

I too make my own Garam masala. It has about another 6 or 8 more ingredients than your one listed. I recently bought a bag of Sri Lankan Garam masala. I havnt tried it yet but it was recommended by an Indian guy I deal with.

Russ

I have my own Ras al Hanout. It came about because I needed it for a recipe, and the nearest supplier was well over an hour away, and who knows if they'd have it? Turns out I had ALL the ingredients in my spice racks. So, I've been making this one ever since.

I am going to be doing (and sometimes already doing) this with other herb/spice mixtures, too. I've started, but Ras al Hanout was definitive!

I make some, and buy others.
We make our own garam masala, but there's a curry powder that we have fallen in love with and tbh, I haven't even tried replicating it. I should really, but that will have to be a job for another day.
There's are a number of other blends that we also make. I have some of them listed on here as recipes in the herbs and spices section.

What is it? I mention it because @Frizz1974 (who is also in Australia - where are you lately @Frizz1974, we miss you!) mentioned her favourite brand a while back and I managed to get some. Just curious.
Clive of India, Hot curry powder

Hot-Curry-Powder-50g-3D-Low-res-235x400.jpg

I prefer to make my own. I'll read the ingredients order on the bottle at the store and Google too.

Back
Top Bottom