Sports chatter

Herbaceous

Local time
8:44 PM
Anyone up for a general chitchat thread for sports-related gossip?

Currently watching NFL playoffs. My Bills were eliminated last week, so I’ve temporarily switched allegiances to the Lions. The cats convinced me.

Anyone up for a general chitchat thread for sports-related gossip?

Currently watching NFL playoffs. My Bills were eliminated last week, so I’ve temporarily switched allegiances to the Lions. The cats convinced me.

All I care about right now is that the Ratbirds lose! Ultimately, I'd love to see the Lions win the Super Bowl this year, after something like 59 years without a championship? If the 49ers win it all, they will also have six Super Bowls. I'd rather not see that. But, if the Ratbirds win today, I'd rather have them face the Niners. I think SanFran would be better equipped to beat the Ratbirds in the Super Bowl.

My Steelers lost to your Bills, before they lost to the Chiefs, but the Steelers already have six Super Bowl wins, so I'd be fine with the Lions getting one this year.

CD

See, I was cheering for the Ravens because I hate the Chiefs after last week, but it looks like you might get your wish. Yeesh.

My feelings on the 49rs are pretty neutral, but I would love to see the Lions take it after so long. At the game last week they were showing a guy in the crowd was 80-something years old and had been Lions season ticket holder for over 50 years. He looked so thrilled at the win!

The AFC North is full of Rivalries, but the one thing three of the four teams agree on is a seething hatred for the Ratbirds. Browns fans, Bengals fans and Steelers fans all hate the Ratbirds.

CD

The AFC North is full of Rivalries, but the one thing three of the four teams agree on is a seething hatred for the Ratbirds. Browns fans, Bengals fans and Steelers fans all hate the Ratbirds.

CD
I admire your dedication to calling them the Ratbirds! And it looks like you got your wish - I think they forgot how to play after the first quarter there.

There are huge divisional rivalries in pretty much every single division. I do low-key pull for the Browns, because my dad’s a Browns fan. Same with the Cowboys, because my bro’s a Cowboys fan.

Lions are up 7-0 right now!

I admire your dedication to calling them the Ratbirds! And it looks like you got your wish - I think they forgot how to play after the first quarter there.

There are huge divisional rivalries in pretty much every single division. I do low-key pull for the Browns, because my dad’s a Browns fan. Same with the Cowboys, because my bro’s a Cowboys fan.

Lions are up 7-0 right now!

When I first moved to Texas as an eighth grader, I was informed that the Cowboys were "Americas Team," and that most people in Pittsburgh were Cowboys fans, not Steelers fans. That made me hate the Cowboys.

the funniest TV sports piece I ever saw was a Dallas sportscaster going to a bar in Pittsburgh to prove that the Cowboys were more popular in Pittsburgh than the Steelers. He got pitchers of beer poured on him, and was literally thrown out of the bar. :laugh: Yet, people in Dallas were shocked!

It's not that way anymore. There are so many people living in Dallas that aren't FROM Dallas, that there are fans of every team living here.

CD

Yikes, Lions were up 24-10 at the half, and now the game’s tied!

Yikes, Lions were up 24-10 at the half, and now the game’s tied!

Actually, SF just took the lead. Did they go into halftime with too much of a lead? Too confident? I wouldn't take a 24-10 lead at halftime against the Niners lightly. I hope the Lions get it back together.

CD

Well, I’m glad I’m not a Lions fan right now.

Looks like it’ll be a Chiefs-49rs Super Bowl. The theme will be “teams with red uniforms”.

On a completely different tack, England beat India in the first Test Match today. A truly historic event, considering they haven't won in India since 2012.

The Lions made a run for it at the end, but too little, too late. 34-31 49-ers.

So, Super Bowl LVIII will be between the Kansas City Swifties*... er, Chiefs, and the San Francisco 49ers.

CD

* for those of you who live outside of the US, Taylor Swift's boyfriend, Travis Kielce, is a star player for the KC Chiefs. Surely you at least know who Taylor Swift is.

CD

Our sports channel has been stopped. Wife wouldn't pay the extra $10 a month on top of already $55 sports channels.
Total now is $95. Saving $65 for winter. It will go back on in winter for rugby and league.

Russ

As long as you get to see the rugby in winter, that's good.
Our local provider has got lousy sports coverage, (never even got to see the World Cup Rugby final, only the games with Argentina playing) but I can get some Premier League football and European football championships. I watch cricket on the web.

We watched a lot of sports growing up - my dad’s a big sports guy - but rugby and cricket were two we never watched. I don’t think I’ve ever watched more than a couple minutes of either.

I still love watching NFL football, baseball (but husband hates it so I don’t watch it much), curling, equestrian if I can find it on the TV, and I always have the TV on non-stop during the Olympics.

Back
Top Bottom