50 millilitres whole milk
2 eggs
Pepper and salt

Inside The Cake
400 gram Brussel Sprouts
1 big shallot
2 garlic cloves
1 handful cashew nuts
60 gram Old Amsterdam (or another aged yellow cheese if you can't find it)

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C / 360F.
  2. Clean the Brussel Sprouts by cutting the ends and remove the dirty outside leaves.
  3. Wash and cut them in two or four when they are big. Try to find the small ones because the leaves are packed very tightly together, and they will stay together when you cut them, the big ones will fall apart.
  4. Heat some oil in the pan and bake the sprouts on a medium fire. Cut the garlic and shallot small and toss them together with the Sprouts. Bake until the Sprouts are tender.
  5. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, 3/4 shredded Old Amsterdam, pepper and salt.
  6. Mix in another cup the eggs, oil, cream and the milk. Add the liquid to the flour and stir until you have a smooth mixture.
  7. Add a handful of cashew nuts and the Brussel Sprouts with the garlic and onion. Pour the mixture in a well greased cake tin, sprinkle the rest of the old Amsterdam on top
  8. Bake for about 30 minutes in the oven.

https://food52.com/recipes/1280-brussel-sprout-cake-spruitjes-cake

This is a savoury type of cake. I suppose it could be interesting - cheesy, nutty, and 'sprouty'. But I don't really understand what kind of food this is. Is it meant as a snack? Do you eat it hot, cold or warm?

Supposed to be served warm, but nothing stopping you from eating them cold, I suppose.

Started as a side dish, now can be seen served on their own.

Its almost like a quiche filling - except that flour is added. I am imagining that it tastes a bit like a stodgy quiche (possibly in a nice way!).

Last edited:
Its almost like a quiche filling - except that flour is added. I am imagining that it tastes a bit like a stodgy quiche (possibly i a nice way!).
Sounds like you're thinking about making them.

Back
Top Bottom