Squash

DancingLady

Veteran
Local time
12:28 AM
How do you like to cook your squash? I used to bake butternut squash most of the time until I could not afford to run the oven for something like that. I then switched to boiling them and found they actually turn out better that way. A good butternut squash needs only a little butter. Some of the not so good ones need a little honey though. Those are the only things I put on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
i purree it for dishes ,its sweet and makes a top puree which is easy to make,it makes the best soups add a little fresh ginger for a sublime soup,roasted again little honey and olive oil coating,its sweet and has a great texture

Thought of another great use,we use it for Autumn time pickle,great with grilled goats cheese
:chef:

I use them in (vegetable) curries and chillies. They are so absorbent and act as as good base/filler around which one can add other vegetables. As Berties mentioned, they are sweet, so they provide a nice contrast with the spicier elements.

Softened with lentils and beans they make a great patty mix with aromates of choice or a filling for a vegi Wellington

What kind of squash can you pickle? I have not heard of doing that before? Im assuming it would have to hens summer squash though. Winter squash are too soft when cooked.

What kind of squash can you pickle? I have not heard of doing that before? Im assuming it would have to hens summer squash though. Winter squash are too soft when cooked.
Pickle to us in the UK is not just adding vinegar, ,
you dice up butternut squash with apple and onion and then soak it in a sugar and vinegear mix with aromates, then heat it up with some dried fruits such as sultanas and then store in jars
I'm making a ginger and squash jam today to serve with a chicken liver parfait ,pictures to follows !

Last edited:
image.jpg
Well it tuned out great , sweet earthy and spicey , I made 3
liters in total

Pickle to us in the UK is not just adding vintage r and aromates eith this pickle you dice up butternut squash with apple and onion and ore soak it in a sugar and vinegear mix with aromates in it then heat it up with some dried berries and then sore in jars
I'm making a ginger and squash jam today to serve with a chicken liver parfait ,pictures to follows !
even I have having a challenge translating this one @Berties :scratchhead:
aromates - spices?

I think you mean... Pickle to us in the UK is not just adding vintage vinegar and spices. With this pickle, you dice up butternut squash with apple and onion and/or soak it in a sugar and vinegar, mix in the spices, then heat it up with some dried berries (? raisins or currants) and then store in jars.
I'm making a ginger and squash jam today to serve with a chicken liver parfait. pictures to follows

Am I correct? Sounds wonderful btw, she says finishing off some caramelised onion chutney made last year.

even I have having a challenge translating this one @Berties :scratchhead:
aromates - spices?

I think you mean... Pickle to us in the UK is not just adding vintage vinegar and spices. With this pickle, you dice up butternut squash with apple and onion and/or soak it in a sugar and vinegar, mix in the spices, then heat it up with some dried berries (? raisins or currants) and then store in jars.
I'm making a ginger and squash jam today to serve with a chicken liver parfait. pictures to follows

Am I correct? Sounds wonderful btw, she says finishing off some caramelised onion chutney made last year.
Yes , sorry I do use the I phone a lot and it does change text ,
Aromate is chef talk for spices
We have a sweet tray and a savory tray
Onion marmalade is a staple in my kitchen
i have edited my original post now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom