Star Trek

Termyn8or

Local time
3:51 AM
Not so much The Original Series, but the Next Generation and beyond. In TOS they had food dispensers, which suggests someone is preparing the food, plus they had to keep a store of food on hand. That changed wth TNG, where they replicate food. It is made out of energy by then.

I suppose things have to be sampled, like you could put in a dish and it would make a replica. And from what I've seen you can put in a specific molecular structure.

Thing is, if you were to setup for self cooking, what would you do ? For example, would you clarify your own butter or let the computer do it ? That is only one thing of many, many skills you develop in the kitchen. A little more tempting to just let it do it might be Hollandaise sauce. Perhaps Alfredo sauce.

I think some things are best made on the spot. Steaks, many fried things. But I bet it could separate my eggs, a skill I just - well it almost scares me. Would the computer become a crutch for wannabes ?

A penny for your thoughts. (I have a roll of them)

T

This is kind of why I liked Voyager, because they had Neelix helping them cook food they found in the Delta quadrant. I don't remember if the show explained why this was done instead of 100% replicated food, but probably limited/rationed energy/resources.

I personally like the process, so I'd still like the option of cooking for myself, maybe I'd have to settle for a holo-deck timeslot 🤣

They did it because replicators use energy, and they were not sure of how much they could get, plus it could be used for other things.

Even with him, imagine a whole new different kind of meats and spices.

They probably should have replicated some cows and chickens asnd let Neelix be the farmer.

E-I-O-I-O

T

I always suspected the food dispensers in The Original Series involved robots creating the food behind the scene, with maybe a few delicacies imported in from one planet or another. In TNG, I assume they used random material, not merely creating matter out of energy (which never really meshed with my scientific mind very well). I've never watched Voyager or the other spinoffs, basically because the first two seasons of TNG bothered me a lot with repeat variations on TOS, and an annoyance with the Borg (but recently I've watched all of Season Five due to recommendations found elsewhere - I guess I'd given up too soon!)

For self-cooking: Yes, I'd want to do my own steaks, but I can see having someone/thing else make clarified butter/ghee for me. Hollandaise: not if it is like the commercial crud available now. I'd rather make my own. If not possible aboard the Enterprise or whatever, I'd definitely need that Holodeck time slot! I could see cooking as being a viable hobby in some future world scenario.

The reboot on Paramount Plus utterly killed the Star Trek universe for me this past season. If you haven't seen it, don't watch it. To the topic here, the Admiral of Star Trek, in negotiating with a different species (who represents capitalism) tells her that the apple she's eating comes from the food replicator and is, direct quote here, "made of shit". He then goes on to explain how all the waste products go into making all the food and even though it doesn't taste good, it's "good for the environment" (that was a paraphrase.

I'm am so angry with whoever let that last season into production. They upended decades of cannon without while at the same time making sure it is the main timeline.

To this topic here, Data made, or tried to make, all sorts of things, but I suspect if we have technology to make something at the molecular level, then we're enjoying the "mistakes" in the recipes -- the tweaks we make -- so I'd say I'd still be cooking pretty much everything.

The reboot on Paramount Plus utterly killed the Star Trek universe for me this past season. If you haven't seen it, don't watch it. To the topic here, the Admiral of Star Trek, in negotiating with a different species (who represents capitalism) tells her that the apple she's eating comes from the food replicator and is, direct quote here, "made of shit". He then goes on to explain how all the waste products go into making all the food and even though it doesn't taste good, it's "good for the environment" (that was a paraphrase.

I'm am so angry with whoever let that last season into production. They upended decades of cannon without while at the same time making sure it is the main timeline.

To this topic here, Data made, or tried to make, all sorts of things, but I suspect if we have technology to make something at the molecular level, then we're enjoying the "mistakes" in the recipes -- the tweaks we make -- so I'd say I'd still be cooking pretty much everything.
Go woke and go broke and that is exactly what's happening, thank got. Don't preach, just create something worth watching.

I’m not a Star Trek fan. Just never watched it. Kate Mulgrew was in one of them. Wife and I went to high school with her. Didn’t run with her social group but she seemed to be a nice person. I have a niece that is not only a Star Trek NUT, she is obsessed with Kate Mulgrew.

I quite like the new series. I don't remember that comment, but let's face it, everything alive pees and poops, and it all gets into the ecosystem to be recycled, so...

I loooove ST:TOS, but not so much any of the follow-on series.

We did see a live production of A Christmas Carol, rewritten as a Klingon story, and performed entirely in Klingon, in Chicago several years ago.

I quite like the new series. I don't remember that comment, but let's face it, everything alive pees and poops, and it all gets into the ecosystem to be recycled, so...

That was not the tone that the line -- or the scene -- was delivered. The "capitalist" was complaining that the apples don't have any flavor after which the Admiral goes on a rant about how it's recycled shit because that way it's equatable for everyone.

I think it was the last episode (season 3) the one where that green "capitalist" chick gets into Star Fleet and tries to negotiate a peace.

I’m not a Star Trek fan. Just never watched it. Kate Mulgrew was in one of them. Wife and I went to high school with her. Didn’t run with her social group but she seemed to be a nice person. I have a niece that is not only a Star Trek NUT, she is obsessed with Kate Mulgrew.

Captain Janeway is a hellofa good role model for a young person. :)

Myself, I was all about 7 of 9 (wistful sigh)

That was not the tone that the line -- or the scene -- was delivered. The "capitalist" was complaining that the apples don't have any flavor after which the Admiral goes on a rant about how it's recycled shit because that way it's equatable for everyone.

I think it was the last episode (season 3) the one where that green "capitalist" chick gets into Star Fleet and tries to negotiate a peace.
Okay, I watched the clip of that scene. Just so you know, the "capitalist" chick is head of a criminal organization that has committed atrocities and later attacks and decimates the Star Fleet base, killing lots of innocent people in the process. He actually says it tastes "pretty good for shit." Just cause an organization has a "green" name, that being emerald in this case, doesn't mean they are good.

Know who the actor is that plays the admiral?

it's the guy that played the Arab in The Mummy movies.

"I'm am so angry with whoever let that last season into production. They upended decades of cannon without while at the same time making sure it is the main timeline." (like the quoting...)

If you don't like the whole show, and believe me there are things not to like, there are two very well written episodes both two parters. One is Future's End in which a guy from the 20th century gets ahold of 29th century stuff, like a time ship and uses it to advance his technology to have the biggest computer company in the world. e almost blew up the solar system.

And the best, among the finest of the Star Trek writing was Endgame. It breaks time travel rules but stays pretty much in canon.

The main guy who wrecked the place was J.J. Abrams.

T

Back
Top Bottom