Starting A Herb Garden.

How is it cheating to buy a plant and stick it in the ground? Regardless of how good a spot is, herbs still need some amount of sun, decent soil with good drainage and some amount of water. You don't have to do anything to rosemary for it to grow, but it does prefer certain conditions over other conditions.
Rosemary and lavender do really bad in my garden ,the soil has a solid band of chalk one metere down ,but margoram and oregano grow wild in the lawns,and my other herbs grow like weeds,I do cutting from the Rosemary to keep it going but the bigger Rosemary plants do not look that healthy

Rosemary and lavender do really bad in my garden ,the soil has a solid band of chalk one metere down ,but margoram and oregano grow wild in the lawns,and my other herbs grow like weeds,I do cutting from the Rosemary to keep it going but the bigger Rosemary plants do not look that healthy

So why not grow it in a large pot? All my herbs are in containers. Anything twelve inches or larger will support any herb you can find that will tolerate your climate. You can use plain potting soil amended with compost and in a pot you can control how much moisture each plant gets. The herbs you are unsuccessful with are probably experiencing root rot.

I've got some cuttings invpo
So why not grow it in a large pot? All my herbs are in containers. Anything twelve inches or larger will support any herb you can find that will tolerate your climate. You can use plain potting soil amended with compost and in a pot you can control how much moisture each plant gets. The herbs you are unsuccessful with are probably experiencing root rot.
I have some cuttings in big pots at present, but my Rosemary plants in the garden just look a bit necky and bare

I've got some cuttings invpo

I have some cuttings in big pots at present, but my Rosemary plants in the garden just look a bit necky and bare

My rosemary plant is now about three, maybe even four, years old. I almost lost it a couple times due to the summer heat - it doesn't like too much water, but you can't let it get too dry either. I moved it to a different location and left it alone (I almost never trim it) and now it's doing fine. It's not something I cook with often so it's been allowed to grow and do it's thing. Same goes for a couple other herbs that seemed to struggle for a while, but are doing great now that the plants are older.

Back
Top Bottom