Stockpiling food

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
1:17 PM
Do you stockpile food, just in case something bad happens? I just listened to a feature on the radio about people stockpiling food in case Brexit causes problems next March. At first I thought it was just scaremongering, but on reflection supermarkets do have very tight supply chains, and whilst I doubt we would starve there may well be stock-outs of certain products. It doesn't take much for this to happen - we ran out of Marmite not that long ago because Tesco had a bit of a spat with Unilever over pricing. It also seems that every time Jamie Oliver or Delia Smith promote an ingredient the shelves empty within hours.

I remember my grandmother keeping a hoard of food, mainly tinned, in a separate cupboard, "just in case", but I think this stemmed from a wartime mentality. There was also a sugar shortage (early 1970's?) which prompted another stockpile when it was over, "just in case it happens again".

Do you keep a stockpile on food?

That's called prepping. Disaster preparations.

There's a whole movement of folks in the US who are preppers. For the day that SHTF.

I probably don't do it intentionally, but I end up doing it anyway, mainly because I don't like to run out of stuff!!

That is because when I shop for groceries, I usually get things that I plan to do meals with.:wink:

I like to have things like tins of baked beans cans of salmon etc for weekend lazy stuff and quick cooking. Apart from that just the usual bag of flour and sugar.....just in case.

Russ

Not for any specific reason, but I don't like to run out (although we have 4 major superstores within a couple of kilometres). For none perishables, whenever we open or use the penultimate item, we buy at least 2 more and so on.

When we bought our house up here in the mountains, my wife was just happy that it was nice looking, had a lot of closet space (she has a 10x15 dressing room off the master bedroom with 4 huge closets), but it wasn't lost on me that if the supply chain and services like power and water go to hell, we live next to a nature preserve for hunting and fishing, and there are 2 potable streams within a half mile in either direction.

I have enough firewood for about 3 years if I really needed to heat the house that way.

All I need are veggies. I've been thinking of stockpiling a store of both dried and canned veggies.

No stockpiling here - don't have the room to store it, nor am I huge fan of tinned or dried foods (with a few exceptions eg. tomatoes, sweetcorn, dried pasta, pulses & rice).

We do tend to buy some foods in bulk (because its cheaper) so we tend to have a decent supply of food in the house and rarely run out. The chest freezer in the garage is normally around half full of meat and we have a plentiful supply of basic vegetables (potatoes, onions, carrots, leeks) from the garden and allotment pretty much all year round, and in the summer of course lots of other choices.

I've been considering wise food storage, but am still on the fence. I wouldn't mind having the water purification bottle, and am curious about the taste of the fruits and vegetables.

The food lasts for 25 years, and the packages are watertight. Just add water. I'm in earthquake country. Supposedly, we should be prepared for "the big one," which is long overdue.

https://www.wisefoodstorage.com/?msclkid=4b28300a70461c87dcc86bef33de91a2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WP - Branded Terms&utm_term=wise foods&utm_content=Wise Food - EXACT

Last edited:
IMG_0887a.jpg

I've started prepping - apparently there is going to be a shortage of Brussel sprouts!

I have plenty of tinned and dried goods in the cupboard but not that good at rotating stock or keeping an eye on use by dates.

Back
Top Bottom