Strange pan - Cast Aluminum with Grease Tray

BobDog

Local time
7:32 AM
I have a gently-used cast aluminum pan. It is rectangular and has a grease tray on one end. The bottom has cast feet, so it can sit flat on a countertop. There are no words or numbers on it. Outside dimensions 18" x 10" (46cm x 25cm). Someone suggested that it was used for cooking bacon, but that was just a guess.
Top of pan.jpg

Bottom of pan.jpg

=> Does anyone here know the proper term for this pan?
=> Is it particularly useful for any purpose?

Thank you for your help.

bacon
meatloaf
potentially anything that gives up lots of juice when baked/roasted.

which can be good or bad - depends....
bacon, for example, fries better when it is sitting in its own render fat.
some folks do bacon in the oven - this would drain the fat away.
if they're into a low fat regimen - good thing.

meat loaf - done in a loaf pan rather often winds up swimming in juice/water.
not my personal idea of good . . .
this would allow those liquids to drain away - which one can also do on a flat sheet, presuming one has a method of oven cleaning all the stuff that runs off and winds up on the oven floor....

any previously frozen "roast" cut of beef/pork will give up a lot of water as it cooks.
again the issue/benefit would be draining that away into the trough.

neat pan - specialized uses - but neat.

As above. Could it have been part of a countertop griddle at some point? My former SIL had something similar.

I have a gently-used cast aluminum pan. It is rectangular and has a grease tray on one end. The bottom has cast feet, so it can sit flat on a countertop. There are no words or numbers on it. Outside dimensions 18" x 10" (46cm x 25cm). Someone suggested that it was used for cooking bacon, but that was just a guess.
View attachment 62471
View attachment 62472
=> Does anyone here know the proper term for this pan?
=> Is it particularly useful for any purpose?

Thank you for your help.

The term grease-catcher pan is difficult to apply as it becomes synonymous with drip pan.

All of the above, of course. My contribution is very local I'm affraid. We jointly call such pans Pleh. (Plech, e as in check).

Derived from the German Blech, simply referring to the material used.

Have never seen one with legs, but can be useful to put away and not heat the surface...

Baking potatoes on it? Roast veges?
Dry granola or roast almonds?

https://hjp.znanje.hr/index.php?show=search_by_id&id=eV1gXRQ

Back
Top Bottom