Recipe Strawberry and Ricotta Mini Pies

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
2:49 AM
I came across a recipe for raspberry and soft cheese puff pastries, but as usual, I didn't have those ingredients on hand. So, I decided to make my own version with strawberries and ricotta. I have a store bought pie crust here, and I'm going to roll it pretty thin, since I don't want it to be exactly pie-like, but more delicate. I didn't have soft cheese here, so I made ricotta last night, and it came out fabulous. I used lemon juice from a neighbor's lemons, and fresh squeezed it, because that really gives the ricotta a nice flavor.

Here's the original recipe I found, and as you can see, it's pretty basic, so shouldn't be difficult to adapt. My freezer is too full right now, but when I've got more room in there, I plan to buy some puff pastry for the next batch.

I actually have a couple of packets of puff pastry just waiting to be used up for something - these sound like a good sweet treat, and I think your version sounds yummier than the original -- that could be to do with the fact that I like strawberries more than I do raspberries!

They look like a really great treat. I think the strawberries would be better then the raspberry too. I prefer raspberries over strawberries just to eat fresh but I don't care for raspberries cooked into anything because they are so seedy. They just become a mush. You will have to let us know how they turned out!

Thanks, y'all. I made them the other day. I will probably make them again, with a few changes. Next time, I might try using this recipe for the dough. Someone on another site recommended it, and it sounds easy and as if it would work for this recipe. Even though I rolled out the pie crust as thinly as I could, it still seemed a bit heavy for the ingredients. I'd also mix the ricotta and strawberries together, rather than placing each individually on the dough. I think it would make filling the tarts easier, since they're fairly small. I used about 1/2 actual teaspoon, not a measuring teaspoon, of ricotta, placing it in the middle of the dough, added a small amount of the strawberry mixture, then folded the dough up/over like crab rangoon dumplings. I did use an egg wash, and then I sprinkled red sugar crystals lightly on top. I cooked them on the bottom rack of the oven for about 15 minutes, and they came out very tasty. The ricotta was amazing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom