Recipe Strawberry Dust

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:00 AM
fullsizeoutput_2b2b.jpeg

You might wonder why you would want to make strawberry dust. I use it to sprinkle. It looks very pretty on the plate and tastes beautiful. But if you are prepared to make it in larger quantities then it can be used to mix into cream, ice-cream, meringues etc. Here is some strawberry ice-cream I made and then used the dust to sprinkle:

fullsizeoutput_2907.jpeg

I made just a teeny amount - in the bowl is about half of what was left from turning a whole punnet of strawberries into dust! So, unless you have a glut of strawberries it might work out rather expensive to make large quantities.

First you need to dehydrate the strawberries. There are several ways you can do this. It can be achieved relatively easily if you have a dehydrator (I don't). Another way to dehydrate is in a very slow oven. The method I used was the microwave method. Its a lot quicker but you do have to watch it carefully.

Ingredients
Fresh strawberries

Method
  1. Slice the strawberries as thinly as possible. Using a mandolin is the best way.
  2. Cover a microwavable plate in cling film, ensuring it is smoothed out with no air bubbles underneath.
  3. Pat the strawberry slices dry with kitchen paper and carefully lay them individually on the cling film.
  4. Set the microwave to defrost and cook for approximately 30 mins. It could take longer. Just keep checking until the strawberry pieces are dried out and somewhat shrivelled. See photo below.
  5. Let the strawberry pieces cool on the plate and then carefully peel them off.
  6. Use a spice mill/coffee grinder to blitz them into a powder.
  7. Store in an airtight jar. The powder will last for months but may eventually start losing its aroma.

This photo shows how the strawberry pieces look once dehydrated (with some pieces removed):

fullsizeoutput_27f1.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 13587

You might wonder why you would want to make strawberry dust. I use it to sprinkle. It looks very pretty on the plate and tastes beautiful. But if you are prepared to make it in larger quantities then it can be used to mix into cream, ice-cream, meringues etc. Here is some strawberry ice-cream I made and then used the dust to sprinkle:

View attachment 13589

I made just a teeny amount the amount in the bowl - is about half of what was left from turning a whole punnet of strawberries into dust! So, unless you have a glut of strawberries it might work out rather expensive to make large quantities.

First you need to dehydrate the strawberries. There are several ways you can do this. It can be achieved relatively easily if you have a dehydrator (I don't). Another way to dehydrate is in a very slow oven. The method I used was the microwave method. Its a lot quicker but you do have to watch it carefully.

Ingredients
Fresh strawberries

Method

1. Slice the strawberries as thinly as possible. Using a mandolin is the best way.
  2. Cover a microwavable plate in cling film, ensuring it is smoothed out with no air bubbles underneath.
  3. Pat the strawberry slices dry with kitchen paper and carefully lay them individually on the cling film.
  4. Set the microwave to defrost and cook for approximately 30 mins. It could take longer. Just keep checking until the strawberry pieces are dried out and somewhat shrivelled. See photo below.
  5. Let the strawberry pieces cool on the plate and then carefully peel them off.
  6. Use a spice mill/coffee grinder to blitz them into a powder.
  7. Store in an airtight jar. The powder will last for months but may eventually start losing its aroma.

This photo shows how the strawberry pieces look once dehydrated (with some pieces removed):

View attachment 13588

My convection toaster oven is also a dehygrator. Can I use that?

Mg, as you know I grow strawberries so I'll be doing this. I still have frozen ones in the freezer, I found some more yesterday when shifting stuff around the freezer. Wife planted 42 ? New plants out recently.

Russ

Mg, as you know I grow strawberries so I'll be doing this. I still have frozen ones in the freezer, I found some more yesterday when shifting stuff around the freezer. Wife planted 42 ? New plants out recently.

Russ

Its quite time consuming using a microwave if you want a whole jar of strawberry dust - much easier if you have a dehydrator though.

Back
Top Bottom