Strawberry Pie attempt

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:04 AM
This Strawberry Pie was a sort of 'test-kitchen' recipe prompted by the Strawberry pie thread posted by @Autumn_Hearthwitch. I compared a lot of recipes and eventually used this one from Tesco: https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/strawberry-pie.html. - although, I made my own pastry.

Its a double crust pie. Looks nice doesn't it?....

IMGP0565.jpg

IMGP0567.jpg

... but that just goes to show how the camera can lie. It was, in fact, a complete disaster. When I cut into it the crust shattered into shards of pastry which were hard on one side and soggy on the other - and the strawberries (despite following recipe instructions) had produced so much liquid (juice) that it overflowed all over the place, and not in a nice way!

I really should have photographed that but I was too upset! :cry: The bottom crust on the pie was also hard on the outside and soggy on the inside. I'm not sure what went wrong, but I think that the cooking time was too long (55 mins), making the pastry hard on the outside and that there cannot have been enough cornflour (cornstarch) in the strawberry mix, hence the liquid.

Anyone care to improve on this or offer help?

Last edited:
This Strawberry Pie was a sort of 'test-kitchen' recipe prompted by the Strawberry pie thread posted by @Autumn_Hearthwitch. I compared a lot of recipes and eventually used this one from Tesco: https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/strawberry-pie.html. - although, I made my own pastry.

Its a double crust pie. Looks nice doesn't it?....

View attachment 2704

View attachment 2705

... but that just goes to show how the camera can lie. It was, in fact, a complete disaster. When I cut into it the crust shattered into shards of pastry which were hard on one side and soggy on the other - and the strawberries (despite following recipe instructions) had produced so much liquid (juice) that it overflowed all over the place, and not in a nice way!

I really should have photographed that but I was too upset! :cry: The bottom crust on the pie was also hard on the outside and soggy on the inside. I'm not sure what went wrong, but I think that the cooking time was too long (55 mins), making the pastry hard on the outside and that there cannot have been enough cornflour (cornstarch) in the strawberry mix, hence the liquid.

Anyone care to improve on this or offer help?

Awe, I'm so sorry that it did not come out the way that you hoped it would!

Next time, try using just the bottom crust. Prebake the crust in the pie pan. Let it cool. Put the strawberries whole into the prebaked crust.

Mash several of the strawberries and drain through a sieve to get the seeds out. Make a thick sauce by combining the strawberries, some cornstarch, sugar & water Boil on top of the stove until thickened. Cool slightly. Pour this over the strawberries in the pan. Place in the fridge to set. Put some whipped cream around the edge of the pie when cold. It should be ready to eat!! That is if you like raw strawberries. Enjoy! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom