Strawberry pie

Local time
10:56 AM
My grandmother used to make the best strawberry pie which quickly became my favorite kind of sweet pie. I've had different versions but none never really compared to my grandmother's. There's nothing fancy about it, but it's just so good. It seems the apple, blueberry, lemon etc, all get the vote. I never hear about strawberry. I wonder why that is?

I don't know, but i have been craving strawberry pie. It is really easy to make too compared to other pies of its type. Strawberries will be coming into season here in the next month so I will defintely grab some and make some pie. Also, if you have any of those big boy restaurants around you, they usually put their strawberry pies on special for Mother's Day. Do you have your grandmother's recipe or do you think you could come up with a close substitute?

Just to clarify. The 'pie' being referred to is , I believe what we would call a strawberry tart in the UK. Usually anything which has no pastry on top is a tart, flan or quiche in the UK. Strawberry tart is quite popular here. Perhaps I'll make one. A 'pie' is something with pastry on top.

But perhaps you do mean 'pie' with a crust on top? This is a tart:
tart.jpg

Oh yes @Shermie, Strawberry Rhubarb pie is so good too. There's a farm stand we frequent in the summer that makes them. They have to be the best Strawberry Rhubarb I've ever had. We usually buy quite a few when we go and freeze them so we can have some whenever we want. @morning glory, I do mean a "pie" with a crust on top, that's what my grandmother made, although the strawberry tart you pictured looks tasty as well. Is that like a custard at the bottom? I don't have her recipe but next time I see her I'm going to ask for it and try to make one myself. I don't have problems with filling but I can't seem to make a decent crust. I don't know if I just don't have a good recipe for a crust or it's just me. I need to find a no fail recipe for that!

Oh yes @Shermie, Strawberry Rhubarb pie is so good too. There's a farm stand we frequent in the summer that makes them. They have to be the best Strawberry Rhubarb I've ever had. We usually buy quite a few when we go and freeze them so we can have some whenever we want. @morning glory, I do mean a "pie" with a crust on top, that's what my grandmother made, although the strawberry tart you pictured looks tasty as well. Is that like a custard at the bottom? I don't have her recipe but next time I see her I'm going to ask for it and try to make one myself. I don't have problems with filling but I can't seem to make a decent crust. I don't know if I just don't have a good recipe for a crust or it's just me. I need to find a no fail recipe for that!

Its 'creme patissiere' underneath the strawberries but you could use a thick custard. Do you mean your Grandma's pie had a crust underneath as well as on top? I haven't ever tried to do that! I fear the bottom would go soggy unless the filling is fairly 'dry' - and strawberries aren't 'dry'. If its just a top crust then that's easy. I am making some raspberry tarts so I'll include the pastry recipe I use in a new thread.

Last edited:
Yes that's exactly it @morning glory, my grand mother's strawberry pie has both a crust on the bottom and the top making it an actual pie and not a tart. As for fearing the bottom crust getting soggy you can brush it with egg and then blind bake it to seal the bottom before putting in the filling. I brush the bottom and the sides just to make sure. Like I said, I can't seem to make a decent crust but at least being soggy isn't one of them. Honestly I think I just don't let it sit in the refrigerator long enough and I always roll it out too thick. So the taste is there but there's too much of it.

Yes that's exactly it @morning glory, my grand mother's strawberry pie has both a crust on the bottom and the top making it an actual pie and not a tart. As for fearing the bottom crust getting soggy you can brush it with egg and then blind bake it to seal the bottom before putting in the filling. I brush the bottom and the sides just to make sure. Like I said, I can't seem to make a decent crust but at least being soggy isn't one of them. Honestly I think I just don't let it sit in the refrigerator long enough and I always roll it out too thick. So the taste is there but there's too much of it.
I replied in the Raspberry tart thread, but try to leave the pastry at least 20 mins in the fridge. Then roll it out between 2 sheets of cling film (saran wrap) so it doesn't stick. This works a treat.

I'll use your tip regarding coating the base with egg when I experiment. I thought of baking the bottom blind. But then it might be difficult to get the top pastry to stick to the edges... also I wouldn't be able to crimp the edges together. Hey ho!

Good luck @morning glory and let me know how it turns out, I'm anxious to see if our tweaking will work. I'm waiting for my rhubarb to creep up so I can make a strawberry/rhubarb pie, those are good too. I've been down with a cold this past week and I haven't done much cooking or baking. There's a whopper of a cold going around and there are several people out at work too. I'm still not feeling that great but at least I'm able to come into work now and now worry about infecting anyone else. I told my husband I'm not planning on going anywhere this coming weekend so I'll be doing some baking I think.

I like the strawberry shortcake dessert with whipped cream on top. This dessert is quick and easy to make. I love strawberries and must admit more go into my mouth than go into the pie when I make anything with fresh strawberries.

Back
Top Bottom