Stromboli

CraigC

Guru
Local time
12:06 PM
Do you eat or make them and what are your favorite fillings? I generally order Stromboli over pizza for take out. I have two favorites, pepperoni and green pepper, onion and Italian sausage. Lots of marinara sauce for dipping. I've made them at home but not very often as homemade pizza always wins out. I may just have to put the BGE into service as a Stromboli oven. Should we have a Stromboli or Calzone cook a long? The shapes may very with Stromboli, but the fillings and folding are all similar.

Last edited:
Well I had to look up Stromboli! I have only heard of it as an island. I've never seen one in the UK or eaten one. So its like a Swiss roll made of pizza?

Well I had to look up Stromboli! I have only heard of it as an island. I've never seen one in the UK or eaten one. So its like a Swiss roll made of pizza?

If you roll out a thin pizza dough into a round, put pizza toppings without sauce on 1 half, fold the other half over the toppings and seal. Some cut steam vents in the dough. Then it goes in the oven to bake. Stromboli usually have meats inside while Calzone usually don't. I don't know what a Swiss roll is.

Calzone originated in Naples the same as pizza, I've always thought of them as the pizza equivalent of a pasty :laugh: They were apparently invented as an easier version of pizza to carry around (so a similar principle to a pasty then!) with the same fillings that would be used on a flat pizza.

I don't think I've ever seen a Stromboli in the UK either - but they seem to be an American invention rather than Italian so maybe that's why? Seems like they can be rolled or folded - and I agree the rolled ones remind me of a swiss roll :laugh:

I don't know what a Swiss roll is.

:D Its a cake:

302171-1-eng-GB_546-470x540.jpg

Do you eat or make them and what are your favorite fillings?

Di sicuro! Surely.

Favorite fillings ...

Pepperoni
Ham (Canadian Bacon)
Sweet Peppers
Mushrooms
Garlic
Sun Dried Tomato

or

Salmon
Prawns
Scallops
4 Cheese Sauce
Bacon
Garlic
Sorrano Pepper
Scallions

or

Chicken Breast
4 Cheese Sauce
Apple
Bacon
Garlic
Anaheim Pepper
Onion Rings

I had never heard this dish (in Italy it doesn't exist). I had to look for the explanation on the internet and I found this:
"The rolled pizza, known as pizza Stromboli is a preparation that comes from the USA but brings with it exquisitely Italian flavors.
The Stromboli pizza was born in the Fifties in Philadelphia and has since spread throughout the United States"
:eek:

Hmm, stromboli and calzones are different creatures here.

Strombolis are indeed pizza dough that is stretched out and elongated, fillings are added across the entire surface except the edges, and it is rolled, sealed, and baked. The fillings usually are the same as you would use on top of a pizza. A typical one is pepperoni and/or sausage, mozz and/or provolone, and veggies like onions and peppers, mushrooms, olives, etc..Some people like to use fancier iItalian salume and cheeses like mortadella, coppa, and fontina..

A calzone is different. It starts with a pizza dough stretched out round, and the classic filling is ham, mozzarella, and ricotta is spread out on half, then it is folded over neatl -not rolled- then it's, crimped and deep fried. But again, fillings are optional.

Both strombolis and calzones are served with pizza sauce on the side.

Calzones can also be baked for a healthier option, and strombolis can be deep fried for the opposite option.

One of the new restaurants near me does a stromboli with pepperoni, tomatoes, mozzarella, and chillies. It doesn't mention sauce, and whether it is rolled or not I cannot tell from their menu - I suspect not. (We seem to have 20 Italian restaurants in the neighourhood now, although this includes a Pizza Hut, a Pizza Express and a Frankie & Benny's - slightly more than the 4 I posted about a year ago :D)

Doesn't it have to be rolled to be Stromboli (by definition)?

No, in a lot of places it's just a rectangular shape versus the half moon. Also, a lot of places only offer strombolis with meat in them on the menu, with calzones only having cheese and/or vege fillings, you have to order off menu and pay extra if you want meat in them.

No, in a lot of places it's just a rectangular shape versus the half moon. Also, a lot of places only offer strombolis with meat in them on the menu, with calzones only having cheese and/or vege fillings, you have to order off menu and pay extra if you want meat in them.

Oh - OK. :okay:

Strobolis and calzones are different here in NYC/NJ.

Strombolis are pizza dough that is rolled out to a rectangle, filled with pizza topings, then rolled like a swiss roll and baked, although sometimes they are deep fried. Usually baked, though.
I've had them with lots of different cheeses and lunch meats.

Calzones are pizza rounds that are stretched, half filled with pizza toppings (although the standard/most common filling is ham, mozzarella, and ricotta), it is stretched over and crimped, then it is deep fried. You can get them baked, but they're usually fried.

Both are served with pizza sauce for dipping.

The restaurant which I mentioned has all sorts of extra toppings you can put on/in it but all have to be paid extra for.

Back
Top Bottom