Stuffed Ravioli or spaghetti sauce

Roger Burton

Local time
2:05 PM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
Difficult question this so be gentle with me please ... I'm building myself up to make Ravioli, salmon and prawn, so I have to make the pasta, cut it into little squares, carefully fill them and seal edges, drop into heated water (when some of them split open) ie lots of 'stages' and messing about or alternatively throw some spaghetti into a pan and make the stuffing into a sauce ... simples. Why do people bother with making their own ravioli ? I love my cooking and enjoy all processes but ravioli worries me, what do people think ?

Difficult question this so be gentle with me please ... I'm building myself up to make Ravioli, salmon and prawn, so I have to make the pasta, cut it into little squares, carefully fill them and seal edges, drop into heated water (when some of them split open) ie lots of 'stages' and messing about or alternatively throw some spaghetti into a pan and make the stuffing into a sauce ... simples. Why do people bother with making their own ravioli ? I love my cooking and enjoy all processes but ravioli worries me, what do people think ?

It depends on how many time you have available: that’s one of the reasons why ravioli and pasta fatta in casa are generally made during weekend or specifically for Sunday lunch.
Spaghetti are more simple, just pour boil drain in 8 mins.
Making ravioli, however, gives more satisfaction!

I think its also a very different eating experience. Biting into a plump pillow of pasta with a filling is completely different from eating a forkful of pasta coated with sauce.

One single very large raviolo makes a lovely starter.

Have you made pasta before? If not, it might be best to start with just making pasta rather than starting with ravioli.

You can make sheets of pasta and either put tablespoons of filling several inches apart and fold the dough over the filling, carefully squeeze the air out and cut the individual ravioli or do the filling the same way and cover with another sheet of pasta squeezing out the air.

Yes mypinchofitaly, the 'satisfaction' is important, I take a great deal fo pride in my cooking so I guess the pleasure of making ravioli is good (I just haven't been very succesful in the past) and mg of course the 'experience' is imporatant, maybe keep it for dinner party not a quick mid-week supper and thanks craig I have made pasta before and have often wondered why as a good dried pasta is sooo good.

RB, It sounds like you are making the pasta, cutting into squares, and then stuffing it. The few times I have made raviolis, I've made the sheets, put small amounts of filling on the sheets, topped with a second sheet, squeezing all the air out, and then cut and crimped the individual raviolis.

I believe Craig is doing the same thing.

CD

Yes cd I have tried various approaches/techniques over the years, indeed I was thinking about trying the "wonton wrapper cheat" ... I still think for a quick bite dried pasta and a sauce might be it but this site is so good for getting other people's thoughts, thank you.

I use one of these stamps by Marcato, it has auto eject. My wife is a boss pasta maker, she refuses to use a machine and pin rolls one big sheet. dots half with the filing folds. I then stamp, the cup shaped ejector seem to get any air out. We the freeze them for the winter. This usually takes place in September when it's cooler.
download (17).jpg

Last edited:
Do you dampen between layers?
Russ mate I try my best.........oh you mean ok
59203725_569729326849920_3691280002977890304_n.jpg

My wife enriches her pasta with an egg yolk so no, with the press they stick okay. She only make pasta for ravioli. Barilla Pasta is more than adequate for everything else
58902319_569729290183257_7651196277446672384_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom