Substituting lemon juice for lemon zest

Amateur1

Local time
7:34 PM
I have some lemon juice and a recipe wants the zest of one lemon. How much lemon juice should I use instead of the zest? Let me know if this question should be in a different forum.

Lemon juice and lemon zest are two different things. One is the juice of the lemon and the other is the peel. Accordingly, they have different flavor impacts.

Your question really doesn't have a valid answer in that respect.

full.jpg

It won't taste exactly the same, but you can substitute lemon juice. As for amount, if the recipe calls for the zest of one lemon, I'd go with around 1 to 2 tablespoons of juice.

FYI, you can also substitute other citrus zest, like orange or lime, if you have that.

I hope that is helpful. Perhaps some other members can chime in with some valid answers.

CD

I´ll stick my neck out here and say that lemon zest is more intense than lemon juice, plus lemon zest doesn´t add liquid to the dish- which may or may not be a problem. Do they taste the same? No, but if pushed, I´d say the zest adds a more intense lemon/citric flavour than the juice.
How much? Wow, that´s a tricky question, and I think the answer depends solely on your tastebuds!

I'd say there's a big difference between lemon zest and lemon juice. Lemon zest has just a subtle, citrusy flavor but the juice is very sour and contains liquid (as stated in previous posts). The zest doesn't e.g. curdle dairy products like lemon juice. Lemon zest (the outer, yellow skin) doesn't taste that bitter but lemon peels contain the white, bitter part of the skin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom